Game 7 · American (3-3) at Norfolk State (0-5)
Date/Time: Wednesday, Sept. 11 · 6 p.m.
Site: Norfolk, Va. (Gill Gymnasium)
All-Time Record: AU leads, 3-0.
WASHINGTON - Taking a break from early-season tournament play, the American University volleyball team will play a single match at Norfolk State on Wednesday, Sept. 11 at 6 p.m.
• The Eagles are coming off a 1-2 weekend at their own American Volleyball Classic, defeating Winthrop 3-2 in the opener before falling in five sets to both Ohio and tournament champion Temple.
• Senior outside hitter Aleksandra Sochacka was named to the AVC All-Tournament Team, and was also named to the Patriot League's Weekly Honor Roll. Sochacka averaged 3.00 kills and 0.50 blocks per set in addition to posting a .306 hitting percentage over the three matches.
• Leading AU offensively is junior Helena Elbaek with 4.80 kills per set, good enough for the top spot in the Patriot League.
• Freshman Onuchi Ndee has had a huge impact in her debut season. Her hitting percentage of .396 leads the Eagles and ranks second among all players in the Patriot League. Ndee's 18 total blocks also lead the team.
• Another freshman making her presence felt is setter Inbal Peleg, whose 10.79 assists per set are good enough for first in the Patriot League. Junior setter Olivia Wassner is fourth in the rankings with 10.15 assists/set.
• Senior libero Kristen Largay is averaging 5.0 digs per game to lead the team and rank third in the league.
• As a team, the Eagles lead the conference in kills (14.28 per set) and assists (13.00 per set) while ranking second in digs (16.88 per set).
• Elbaek was a 2019 Patriot League Preseason All-League selection and leads a group of returners and newcomers looking to fill the void left by the graduation of three-time AVCA All-Region and Patriot League Player of the Year Aleksandra Kazala.
• AU was picked to finish first in the 2019 Patriot League Preseason Poll in a vote by the league's head coaches and sports information directors. The Eagles have dominated the PL since joining in 2001, winning 15 tournament titles in 18 years.
Norfolk State Notes
• The Spartans are still looking for their first win of the season, going 0-5 so far after dropping three matches last weekend to Fordham, Rider and Toledo. Norfolk State has also not won a set so far this season.
• NSU is under the leadership of first-year head coach Kathy Bullock. She is tasked to turn around a program that has advanced to the MEAC tournament just once in the last five years and finished 4-17 overall last year, 3-7 in the league.
• Senior outside hitter Anna Rupertova, already an offensive leader this season, averaged 2.57 kills and 2.00 digs per set in 2018.
• American is 3-0 all-time vs. Norfolk State, most recently winning in 2016 as part of the UMES Courtyard Classic. The Eagles also won at home in 2013 and for the first time in the 1990s.
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter (AU_Volleyball) and Instagram (@AU_Volleyball).