HAMILTON, N.Y.– Helena Elbaek had eight of her match-high 18 kills in the second set as American University clinched the regular-season volleyball title in the Patriot League with a 25-23, 27-25, 25-22 win at Colgate on Friday evening.
The win improved AU to 19-9 overall and 13-0 in the Patriot League. American won its 14th straight and its 15th in the last 16 matches.
Coupled with Army West Point's 3-1 home win over Navy, the Eagles now hold a three-match lead in the PL standings over Navy with three to play. By virtue of their season sweep over the Midshipmen, the Eagles hold the tie-breaker with the Mids.
• AU's match with Colgate was close throughout, as the teams combined for 31 ties and 13 lead changes over the three sets.
• Elbaek led the Eagles' offense for the sixth time this season and the third time in the last six matches. She hit .487, finishing with 18 kills and only four errors in 30 attacks.
• Aleksandra Kazala, the PL Player of the Week, had a double-double with 11 kills and 12 digs, her 10th double-double of the season. She also had three blocks and three assists.
• Jeanne Westney led AU with seven blocks, as AU finished with 11 as a team.
• Jaelah Hutchison and Alli Lowe had 10 kills each to lead the Raiders, who fell to 13-11 overall and 8-5 in the league. Colgate remained in third place in the PL, one game ahead of a three-way tie between Lehigh, Loyola Maryland and Army.
• The Black Knights beat Navy, 25-22, 25-19, 20-25, 25-19 before 1,114 at West Point.
QUOTING COACH GOLDBERG
"This was a big road win for us at Colgate, ultimately clinching the top seed and now hosting the Patriot League Championships in D.C. Our attack started a little slow and we will have to increase our efficiency greatly for us to find success in the coming final league matches."
NEXT UP / TICKETS
American returns to Bender Arena on Tuesday, Nov. 6 to play host to Lehigh at 7 p.m. The Eagles close the regular season on Saturday, Nov. 10 at Army West Point in a 4 p.m. matchup.
AU will host the Patriot League Tournament on Nov. 17 and 18 at Bender Arena. Ticket information will be available in the next few days.
General admission seating for the Lehigh match is $8. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.