BALTIMORE – Aleksandra Kazala led American University with 16 kills as the Eagles survived a five-set battle at Loyola Maryland in a Patriot League volleyball match on Saturday.
AU won the match by scores of 25-14, 19-25, 25-18, 20-25, 15-13.
The win was American's 12th straight and 13th in the last 14 matches. The Eagles improved to 18-9 overall and maintained their hold on first place in the PL with a 12-0 mark.
• Kazala finished with a double-double, with 16 kills and 18 digs. Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge also had a double-double, dishing out 50 assists and also getting 18 digs.
• Vela McBride became the first Eagle this season with double figures in blocks, having 10. American finished with a season-best 17 team blocks, with Elbaek adding six.
• Ann Ernst had 21 kills to lead all players in the match, adding 16 digs.
• The Greyhounds scored the first four points of the final set before the Eagles tied the score. The last of five ties came at 9-9 and started a four-point run that put AU ahead. The deficit fell to just one in two spots down the stretch, with Kazala scoring a final kill to convert the Eagles' second match point.
• Loyola fell to 11-13 overall and 6-5 in the league.
The Eagles are at Colgate next Friday and at Holy Cross next Saturday.
AU's final home match of the regular season is on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh.
Should American finish in first place in the regular season, it would host the Patriot League Tournament on Nov. 17 and 18.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.