ANNAPOLIS – Aleksandra Kazala had nine of her match-high 18 kills in the second set as American University took a firm grasp of first place in the Patriot League with a 25-20, 25-14, 25-23 volleyball victory at Navy on Friday night.
The Eagles improved to 17-9 overall and 11-0 in the PL after winning their 12th straight match.
• The win gives AU a two-game lead over Navy in the Patriot League standings, with the Eagles at 11-0 and Navy falling to 9-2. The Eagles will also hold a tie-breaker over the Midshipmen in a battle for the regular-season title and potential hosting of the PL Tournament by virtue of the season sweep.
• Kazala had her 18 kills on 36 attack attempts and with only three errors. She hit .417 in the match and helped the team to a .367 hitting percentage.
• AU had a strong night at the net, finishing with 11 team blocks and forcing Navy into 26 hitting errors. Loren McKenzie had six blocks, with Vela McBride and Kennedy Etheridge finishing with four each and Helena Elbaek with three.
• Etheridge had her 10th double-double of the season, finishing with 36 assists and 10 digs.
• Kristen Largay had 14 digs and five assists for AU.
• With three digs, Kazala became only the third Eagle in history to combine for 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in her career.
• McKenzie's six blocks pushed her over the 300 plateau for her career, making her the ninth Eagle to hit that level at the net.
• Olivia Rozmus had a dozen kills off the bench to lead Navy, which fell to 17-7 overall and 9-2 in the league. The Mids finished the match with a .119 hitting percentage.
American plays at resurgent Loyola Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m. The Eagles are at Colgate next Friday and at Holy Cross next Saturday.
AU's final home match of the regular season is on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.