ANNAPOLIS- American University Volleyball faces its toughest test in the Patriot League this week when it travels to Annapolis to play at Navy. The Eagles and Midshipmen are first and second in the league and have first place, tie-breakers and potential hosting of the PL Tournament at stake in the 7 p.m. matchup.
• The Eagles survived a five-set win over Navy on Sept. 30, prevailing 25-19, 27-29, 26-24, 20-25, 15-8. The five-set battle has tie-breaker implications - if AU and Navy end the regular season tied for first place, then ties are broken based on number of sets won (AU, 3-2) and then points between the teams (AU, 113-105).
• In that earlier meeting, sophomore outside Helena Elbaek had 21 kills (21-2-43, .442) to lead the Eagles' offense, which hit .222 for the match. Aleksandra Kazala had 13 kills and 11 digs for a double-double, with setter Kennedy Etheridge also posting a double-double with 46 assists and 22 digs.
• The Mids handed American its only Patriot League loss of 2017 last Sept. 26. Navy won 29-27, 27- 25, 23-25, 25-20 in Annapolis last year. The Eagles then embarked on an 18-match winning streak, capturing the regular season with a 15-1 record, and successfully hosting the PL Tournament with wins over Lehigh and Navy.
• American and Navy are three games clear of the rest of the league in the standings. At 9-1 and in second place, the Midshipmen are ahead of the third-place tie between Lehigh, Colgate and Loyola Maryland at 6-4.
American plays at resurgent Loyola Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 7 p.m.
AU's final home match of the regular season is on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.