WASHINGTON – Aleksandra Kazala had seven of her team-high 13 kills in the first set as American University celebrated Senior Day with a 25-16, 25-17, 25-17 victory over Bucknell in a Patriot League volleyball match on Sunday.
The win was the Eagles' 11th straight and improved their record to 16-9 and 10-0 in the league. AU remained in first place in the PL with the win, one game ahead of Navy, which hosts American on Friday.
The Bison fell to 6-15 and 1-9 in the league.
• Kazala hit .500 for the match, getting 13 kills and only one error in 24 attempts. She added seven digs and a pair of blocks.
• Shannon Webb finished with a dozen kills, getting seven of hers in the second set. She also was strong defensively, finishing with eight digs.
• AU rolled to leads of 4-1, 7-2 and 13-4 on its way to the first-set victory.
• Bucknell trailed 17-8 before rallying for a six-point run that cut into the deficit. AU's edge was never less than three down the stretch.
• American led 16-11 in the third set when a brief rally by the Bison also cut the lead to three. AU finished off the set on a block by Etheridge and Loren McKenzie.
• Blake Buchholz and Mimi Richards each had five kills to lead Bucknell, which hit .063 in the match.
• Kazala, Etheridge, McKenzie, Meaghan Donahue and manager Seamus Curtin were honored prior to the match.
The Eagles take to the road for their next four matches. American faces second-place Navy in Annapolis on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. and play at resurgent Loyola Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 4 p.m.
AU's final home match of the regular season is on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.