WASHINGTON– Amercan University begins the second half of the Patriot League volleyball schedule this weekend with a pair of home matches that feature special events surrounding the Eagles' program.
On Saturday, the Eagles play host to Lafayette at 2 p.m., with AU set to honor the 30th season of head coach Barry Goldberg in pregame ceremonies.
American hosts Bucknell at 2 p.m. on Sunday, and will pay tribute to their five seniors before the match.
• AU comes into the weekend in first place in the PL with an 8-0 mark through the first half. The Eagles hold a one-game edge over Navy and a three-game lead over both Lehigh and Loyola Maryland.
• Following its 3-0 win at Morgan State on Wednesday, American is 14-9 overall and rides a nine-match winning streak. The Eagles have also won 10 of their last 11, with only a 3-1 loss to 5th-ranked Penn State as the only blemish in a stretch that dates back to Sept. 15.
• Junior Aleksandra Kazala ranks fourth in the PL at 3.45 kills per set, but is 18 digs away from becoming only the third Eagle ever to post the combination of 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in her career.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge is 46 assists away from being the fifth Eagle in history to reach 3,000 career assists. She leads the PL with 10.11 assists per set.
• Senior middle Loren McKenzie is second in the league with 1.21 blocks per set and with a .366 hitting percentage. She needs only 12 blocks to reach 300 in her career, the ninth Eagle to reach that plateau.
• The Leopards face a Friday-night match at Loyola Maryland before coming to Bender Arena on Saturday afternoon. Lafayette enters the weekend with a 5-15 mark overall and are in ninth place in the Patriot League with an 0-8 record.
• Freshman outside Grace Tulevech has been a bright spot this season for Lafayette, leading the offense at 3.46 kills per set.
• Julia Howard, the Leopards' junior setter, is fifth in the league with 7.31 assists per set.
• Freshman middle Kelly Austin has a team-best 45 blocks so far.
• AU won the earlier match in Easton, 3-0.
• The Bison also have a weekend assignment before coming to Bender on Sunday, facing Navy at 4 p.m. on Saturday.
• Bucknell is 6-13 coming into the weekend and is in eighth place in the league at 1-7.
• Junior outside Sophie Bullard averages 2.43 kills per set to lead the Bison.
• Junior middle Mimi Richards is second on the team in kills (2.35) and leads Bucknell with 76 blocks.
• AU swept the earlier match this season in Lewisburg.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
Following the home weekend, the Eagles take to the road for their next four matches. American faces second-place Navy in Annapolis on Friday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. and play at resurgent Loyola Maryland on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 4 p.m.
AU's final home match of the regular season is on Tuesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. against Lehigh.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.