BALTIMORE – Helena Elbaek and Shannon Webb finished with 11 kills apiece to lead American University to a 25-20, 28-26, 25-16 victory over Morgan State in a nonconference volleyball match played Wednesday evening.
The win, American's ninth straight and 10th in its last 11 matches, improved the Eagles' record to 14-9 overall. The Bears lost their first match of the season at home and fell to 12-10 overall.
• Webb had her second match of the season in which she led or tied for the team lead in kills. She also led AU with nine kills in a match against Holy Cross.
• Elbaek had 11 kills with only two errors in 21 attempts, hitting .429. She also added two blocks for the Eagles.
• American hit .344 in the match, finishing with 41 kills and only nine errors.
• Webb had six kills in the first set alone, as the Eagles led throughout the set after taking an early 3-2 lead.
• There were 10 ties in the second set, with the match tied from 21-21 through 26-26. A kill from Elbaek and a block from Elbaek and McBride closed out the set. The Eagles survived two set points in taking the win.
• A kill from Webb snapped a 12-12 tie in the third and started a 7-1 run that sparked AU. A final kill from Elbaek closed out the match.
• Zoe McBride finished with 12 kills and 12 digs to lead the Bears, who were 5-0 at home coming into the match.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
AU is home both days of All-American Weekend. American plays host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m., with the Eagles holding pregame festivities to honor Coach Goldberg's 30th season. On Sunday, AU will pay tribute to its seniors before it faces Bucknell for Senior Day at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.