BALTIMORE – A pair of volleyball teams on current winning streaks meet on Wednesday evening when American University travels to Morgan State for a non-conference matchup at 7:30 p.m.
The Eagles have won eight straight and nine of their last 10 matches in improving to 13-9 overall. AU is in first place in the Patriot League with an 8-0 mark, holding a one-game lead over Navy.
The Bears are 12-9 overall and have a four-match winning streak. Morgan State is 5-0 at home this season and is 4-1 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• Aleksandra Kazala earned honorable mention from the Patriot League in its weekly awards on Monday after leading the Eagles to a pair of wins last week. She had a season-high 21 kills last Tuesday in a five-set match at Lehigh, then added 14 on Friday when AU swept Army West Point.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge leads the Patriot League with 10.06 assists per set. Kazala has moved into second place offensively at 3.52 kills per set.
• Senior middle Loren McKenzie is eight blocks away from 100 for the season and sits in second place in the league in that category.
• Junior libero Kristen Largay averages 4.41 digs per set and is another Eagle sitting in second place in that stat category.
SCOUTING MORGAN STATE
• Sophomore Kalysia Bates was the Co-Player of the Week in the MEAC after hitting .500 in victories over Delaware State and Maryland-Eastern Shore. She had 17 kills and hit .640 in the win over the Hornets. She leads the MEAC with a .312 hitting percentage.
• Senior outside Cristen Coryatt (3.71 kills per set) and freshman opposite Zoe McBride (3.14) lead the Morgan State offense.
• Bates tops the Bears' defensive chart with 68 blocks, and junior Jasmin Hubbard averages 3.81 digs per set.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
AU is also home both days of All-American Weekend. American plays host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m., with the Eagles holding pregame festivities to honor Coach Goldberg's 30th season. On Sunday, AU will pay tribute to its six seniors before it faces Bucknell for Senior Day at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.