WASHINGTON – Aleksandra Kazala finished with a match-high 14 kills to lead American University to its eighth straight victory in a 25-21, 25-18, 26-24 win over Army West Point in a Patriot League volleyball match Friday at Bender Arena.
The Eagles improved to 13-9 overall and finished the first half of the PL schedule with a perfect 8-0 record. The Black Knights fell to 7-13 and 2-5 in the league.
• Kazala hit double figures in kills for the ninth time in the last 10 matches and led the Eagles' offense for the 17th time this season. She also finished with seven digs and three blocks. She had seven kills in the first set alone.
• AU used a 10-1 run in the first set to take a 13-5 lead. Army rallied late in the set, coming within 24-21, but a kill from Vela McBride ended the opening set.
• American trailed in the second set 17-16 before going on a run. The Eagles closed the second on a 9-1 rally, with three kills from Kazala sparking the run.
• The Black Knights held a 16-10 lead in the third set before the Eagles began to cut into the deficit. AU fought off a set point at 24-23 before scoring the final three points of the match, closing the victory on another kill by Kazala.
• Allie Strong and Courtney Horace each had 10 kills for Army West Point.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
The Eagles have a mid-week match out of conference on Wednesday, Oct. 17 when they play at Morgan State at 7:30 p.m. AU is also home both days of All-American Weekend, playing host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 and Bucknell for Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 21. Both matches that weekend are at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.