WASHINGTON – The American University volleyball team finishes the first half of the Patriot League season on Friday when it plays host to Army West Point at 7 p.m. in Bender Arena.
The Eagles have won seven straight and eight of their last nine, with the only loss in that stretch coming in a 3-1 defeat to then-No. 5 Penn State. American holds a one-game lead in the PL standings over Navy and a two-game lead over Lehigh.
• AU survived a tough match at Lehigh on Tuesday, coming all the way back from two sets down to score a 3-2 win. The Mountain Hawks were in second place at the time and could have pulled the Eagles back into a tie had they won.
• For the second straight match, AU put four different players in double figures in kills. They were led by a season-high 21 from Aleksandra Kazala, who had 17 in the three sets the Eagles won.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge had a season-high 54 assists in the match and leads the Patriot League in that category at 10.01. Kazala is now second in the PL at 3.47 kills per set.
• Senior middle Loren McKenzie is second in the league with 1.21 blocks per set and is third with a .356 hitting percentage.
SCOUTING ARMY WEST POINT
• The Black Knights are 7-12 overall and 2-4 in the Patriot League. They are tied with Loyola Maryland for sixth place in the league standings.
• Army has lost two straight coming into Bender Arena, having lost 3-2 at Loyola Maryland and 3-0 last Saturday in a Star Match at Navy. The Black Knights own league wins over Holy Cross and Lafayette this season.
• Freshman middle Emmy Barnhorst leads Army offensively, averaging 2.74 kills per set. She ranks 10th in the PL in kills per set and blocks per set (0.94). She is seventh with a .269 hitting percentage.
• Sophomore libero Ana Oglivie averages 4.08 digs per set to rank fifth in the league.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
The Eagles have a mid-week match out of conference on Wednesday, Oct. 17 when they play at Morgan State at 7:30 p.m. AU is also home both days of All-American Weekend, playing host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 and Bucknell for Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 21. Both matches that weekend are at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.