BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Aleksandra Kazala had 16 of her team-high 21 kills in the final three sets to lead American University from two sets down to a 3-2 victory over Lehigh in a Patriot League volleyball match Tuesday.
After losing 25-20 and 25-19, the Eagles rallied to win 25-22, 25-21 and 15-10.
The Eagles improved to 12-9 overall and maintained sole possession of first place in the PL by improving to 7-0. AU has won eight straight matches and nine of their last 10.
The Mountain Hawks, who came into the night tied with Navy for second place, fell to 16-3 overall and 5-2 in the league.
• Kazala hit a season-high with her 21 kills and combined that with 19 digs to earn her eighth double-double of the season. She had seven kills alone in the fourth set.
• Kennedy Etheridge finished with 54 assists, her fourth match this season with more than 50. She also had 15 digs to post her ninth double-double of the season.
• Largay matched a season-high with four service aces, while McBride had three for the second straight match.
• Neither team held greater than a six-point lead in the entire match. In the first set alone, there were 17 ties.
• The third set was tied 15-15 when a kill by Elbaek was followed by a pair of aces from McBride that gave AU a 19-15 lead. Lehigh pulled within 23-22, but kills from McBride and Kazala kept the match going.
• AU led 17-14 in the fourth after one of four kills from Aleksandra Sochacka in the set. The Eagles never trailed over the rest of the set as Kazala got hot.
• American went out to a 5-1 lead in the final set before Lehigh pulled within 7-6. AU led 10-9 when kills by Elbaek and McKenzie combined with an attack error gave the Eagles momentum and the match.
• AU came into the match with an 0-8 record so far this season when trailing by two sets. The five-set win evens the Eagles' record in five-setters at 2-2.
"We played a much improved Lehigh team in a tough gym, and our players fought through the difficulties to come away with a big road victory. We kept our composure and hopefully gain a sense of confidence as we close in on completing our first round of play in the league schedule."
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
The Eagles return home Friday, Oct. 12 against Army West Point at 7 p.m. AU is also home both days of All-American Weekend, playing host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 and Bucknell in Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 21. Both matches that weekend are at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.