BETHLEHEM, Pa. – After playing its last four matches at home, the American University volleyball team steps away from Bender Arena for a rare Tuesday-night matchup at Lehigh, starting at 7 p.m.
The Eagles are 11-9 overall and 6-0 in the Patriot League after winning six straight and seven of their last eight. AU holds a one-game lead in the standings over the Mountain Hawks (16-2, 5-1) and Navy.
• The Eagles' lone defeat over the last eight matches came in a four-set loss to No. 5 Penn State.
• For the first time this season, the Eagles had four players finish a match with double figures in kills. Loren McKenzie led AU with a dozen, with Aleksandra Kazala, Helena Elbaek and Shannon Webb each adding 10.
• McKenzie has been a force in the middle lately. In addition to her offense, McKenzie combined for 17 blocks in the two matches with Holy Cross and Colgate. She now ranks second in the league with a 1.25 per-set average.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge leads the league at 9.95 assists per set and has posted at least five blocks in each of the last four matches. She has a team-high eight double-doubles this season.
• Kazala ranks fourth in the PL at 3.42 kills per set and has risen to fifth on AU's career list in kills with 1,460. She is within sight of becoming only the third Eagle in history to reach 1,000 career kills and 1,000 career digs.
• Lehigh has won four straight and eight of its last nine. The lone loss in that stretch was a five-set defeat at home to Navy.
• Junior middle Emily Poole leads the Patriot League in hitting percentage (.382) and blocks per set (1.29).
• Sophomore outside Sabrina Lancaster leads the Mountain Hawks and is fifth in the PL with 3.40 kills per set. Fellow sophomore Hannah Wright averages 2.67 kps and ranks ninth in the PL.
• Lehigh is running a two-setter system and senior Megan Polak (7.52 aps) and freshman Alina Lam (7.30 aps) are ranked fourth and fifth in the PL in assists.
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS
American head coach Barry Goldberg is in his 30th season with the Eagles. He's won 10 coach of the year titles, including seven in the Patriot League, and has taken 17 AU teams to the NCAA Tournament, including in 15 of the last 17 seasons.
Former players, staffers, student-athletes and fans are invited to join us for a pregame celebration and tribute to Coach Goldberg on Saturday, Oct. 20 before the Eagles play Lafayette at 2 p.m. Following the match, a reception will be held in conjunction with AU's Letter-Winners Reception. Price for the reception is $25, with letter-winners paying $15. For information on the reception, follow this link.
The Eagles return home Friday, Oct. 12 against Army West Point at 7 p.m. AU is also home both days of All-American Weekend, playing host to Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 20 and Bucknell on Sunday, Oct. 21. Both matches that weekend are at 2 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.