LEWISBURG, Pa.– Aleksandra Kazala had 14 kills to lead three Eagles with double figures in kills as American University defeated Bucknell, 25-19, 25-19, 25-18, in a Patriot League volleyball match on Saturday.
The Eagles, now 7-9 overall, completed a sweep of their opening weekend of PL play, having won at Lafayette on Friday evening.
• Kazala added 10 digs to earn her fourth double-double of the season. She also had her fourth straight match with double figures in kills.
• Jasmine Ellison finished with 11 kills for AU, her second straight match with double figures. Helena Elbaek had 10 kills and only one error in 21 attacks (.429), her first match with at least 10 kills since Sept. 1.
• Kennedy Etheridge had 37 assists, with Kristen Largay leading the team in digs with a dozen. Loren McKenzie had five blocks for the Eagles, who hit .356 in the match. American had only 10 errors in 104 attack attempts.
• Mimi Richards had 12 kills and Sophie Bullard added 11 for the Bison (5-8, 0-2), who hit .163 in the match.
• The last of seven ties in the first set was at 11-11, before AU grabbed a slight edge. The lead was only 18-16 before the Eagles extended the lead through the end of the set.
• American led throughout the second set, with a 5-1 lead dwindling down to 12-11 midway through. The Eagles led 21-17 before a kill by Elbaek, a block from McKenzie and Elbaek and a kill from Ellison closed out the set.
• AU used an 8-2 rally early in the third set to take a 14-8 lead. Bucknell could come no closer than five points for the rest of the set.
"These were very good road wins to start league play, as our team played a solid six straight sets," said AU head coach Barry Goldberg. "Block and attack was strong through the weekend and the back-row serve, pass and dig made improvements with each set. Next weekend will be a challenge as we come back home to play our local teams with improved Loyola and Navy."
Following the Saturday visit to Bucknell, the Eagles return home on Saturday, Sept. 29 to face Loyola Maryland at 4 p.m. and on Sunday, Sept. 30 for a 2 p.m. matinee with Navy.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.