WASHINGTON, D.C. – Aleksandra Kazala finished with 19 kills, leading three Eagles in double figures offensively, as American lost to No. 5 Penn State, 25-17, 25-19, 16-25, 25-23 on Saturday in the final match of the American Volleyball Classic.
The Eagles rolled to a 25-15, 25-19, 25-21 victory over crosstown rival Howard in the day's first match.
American moved to 5-9 overall, while the Nittany Lions improved to 9-1.
GAME NOTES vs. NO. 5 PENN STATE
• Loren McKenzie had 10 kills and four blocks for AU, while Aleksandra Sochacka also finished with 10 kills. Six of her kills came in the third set in which American hit .371 on its way to a convincing win.
• American staved off four set points in the opening frame, finally losing 25-17. Jonni Parker had five kills for Penn State, which hit .270. AU libero Kristen Largay had six digs under a punishing attack from PSU, while Kazala and Loren McKenzie had three kills each.
• AU hit .211 in a second set that ended 25-19. Penn State improved to .350 (16-2-40).
• American held leads of 10-3 and 18-10 en route to the 25-16 third-set win. Sochacka hit 6-0-11 in the third set. Kazala and Jasmine Ellison each had nine digs in the third set alone, as AU's defense finished with 26 as a team.
• There were five ties in the fourth set, the last at 23-23, before Penn State pulled out the win.
• Kazala posted her third double-double of the year, also leading the Eagles with 18 digs. Largay and Ellison had 17 each, while Kennedy Etheridge's fifth double-double of the season included 42 assists and 10 digs.
GAME NOTES vs. HOWARD
• Kazala's 17 kills were her most in a match since August 31 at the Fresno State Tournament. She leads the Eagles offensively and is seventh in NCAA Division I in career kills among active players.
• The Eagles hit an outstanding .370 against Howard, their second best mark of the season. AU had 47 kills and only 10 errors in 100 attempts. Jasmine Ellison had nine kills and only two errors in 15 attempts (.467) for AU.
• Marcelle Butler led the Bison with 11 kills.
Jonni Parker, Penn State (MVP)
Serena Gray, Penn State
Taylor Leath, Penn State
Andrea Mitrovic, Buffalo
Polina Prokudina, Buffalo
Aleksandra Kazala, American
Fola Wilson, Howard
American begins the Patriot League portion of its schedule on the road next weekend, traveling to Lafayette on Friday evening at 7 p.m. and Bucknell on Saturday at 5 p.m.
The Eagles return home on Saturday, Sept. 29 to face Loyola Maryland at 4 p.m. and on Sunday, Sept. 30 for a 2 p.m. matinee with Navy.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
- CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS
- For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).
For the latest on American University Volleyball, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Volleyball.