LAWRENCE, Kan. – Aleksandra Kazala and Vela McBride each finished the day with 13 kills, as American University was swept by host Kansas and Loyola Marymount on Friday in the Kansas Invitational volleyball tournament.
The Eagles, now 4-6 overall, play Auburn at noon EDT on Saturday in their last match in the tournament.
AMERICAN vs. KANSAS NOTES
• The Eagles lost to the host Jayhawks, 25-13, 26-24, 25-19 in their opening match of the tournament. AU recovered from a tough first set to play well in the next two, forcing eight ties and three lead changes in each set.
• McBride, recovered from an injury that limited her time last weekend at the Fresno State Invitational, had seven kills and no errors in 10 attempts against the Jayhawks.
• Junior libero Kristen Largay finished with 14 digs to lead both teams.
• Senior setter Kennedy Etheridge, playing near her hometown of Overland Park, Kan., had 17 assists and three service aces against KU.
• American was held to just 25 kills and a .106 hitting percentage, while committing 15 attack errors.
AMERICAN vs. LOYOLA MARYMOUNT NOTES
• The Eagles survived an offensive onslaught from the Lions and played a tight match before losing 25-22, 25-20, 25-23.
• In the three sets, there were 30 ties and a dozen lead changes, as the teams battled throughout. LMU held a 51-30 edge in kills, but a dozen blocks by AU kept the match close.
• Kazala led AU with eight kills, helping the Eagles to a .222 hitting percentage.
• Largay had eight digs to lead AU defensively, while four Eagles finished with at least four blocks. McBride and Etheridge had five each, with Loren McKenzie and Kazala earning four apiece.
• The Lions improved their overall record to 7-1, adding the win over AU to an earlier victory over Auburn.
All matches in the tournament will be available on ESPN+ :
Live Stats: https://kuathletics.com/sidearmstats/wvball
The Eagles return home on Sept. 14 and 15 to host the American Volleyball Classic. The four-team event will be highlighted by a Saturday-night visit from No. 5 Penn State.
AU faces Buffalo on Friday at 7 p.m. and Howard on Saturday at 11 a.m.
Buffalo and Penn State play on Saturday at 1:30 p.m., with Buffalo facing Howard at 4:30. The Eagles and Nittany Lions begin at 7 p.m.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
• For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).