DOVER, Del.– Three Eagles posted 10 kills each to lift American University to a 25-20, 25-15, 25-19 victory at Delaware State in a volleyball match on Wednesday night.
AU evened its record at 4-4, while the Hornets are now winless in eight matches.
• Aleksandra Kazala, Helena Elbaek and Vela McBride each finished with 10 kills in a balanced and strong offense for American. It was the first match this season with double figures in kills for McBride, who had seven in the first set.
• Elbaek hit 6-1-11 in the third set to reach the double-figure mark.
• The Eagles hit a season-high .424 for the match, getting 45 kills with only nine errors.
• Sophomore setter Olivia Wassner had 30 assists for the Eagles.
• Kristen Largay and McBride each had a pair of service aces.
• Jasmine Ellison led American with eight digs.
• American gave up only 25 kills and forced 12 errors by the Hornets, who hit .197 for the match.
"This was a good road win, as we attacked well through the match," said AU head coach Barry Goldberg. "We are looking for better blocking and defensive success that will be important in the coming tournament in Kansas."
American again takes to the road to play in the Kansas Invitational. American plays the host Jayhawks (1:00 ET) and Loyola Marymount (6:00 ET) on Friday and faces Auburn (noon ET) on Saturday.
The Eagles return home on Sept. 14 and 15 to host the American Volleyball Classic. The four-team event will be highlighted by a Saturday-night visit from No. 6 Penn State.
Tickets to all AU volleyball matches at Bender Arena are available throughout the season.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40 percent off your purchase, available at $3 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $8 for adults, $5 for general admission, youth under 17 and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
• For inquiries, e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).