FRESNO, Calif. – Aleksandra Kazala had 10 kills to lead American University, but the Eagles fell to Saint Mary's, 25-14, 25-13, 21-25, 25-22 in the final match of the Fresno State Invitational volleyball tournament on Saturday.
The Eagles won one of their four matches in the five-team event, which was won by the Gaels. American will return to the East Coast at 3-4 overall.
• The Eagles had five players with at least six kills. Junior Aleksandra Sochacka had seven kills and 13 digs, setting season-bests in each category. Sochacka made her first start of the season.
• Junior libero Kristen Largay also had 13 digs for the Eagles.
• Senior middle Loren McKenzie had seven kills and a team-high five blocks.
• Sophomore Helena Elbaek had eight kills and four blocks off the bench.
• Sophomore setter Olivia Wassner played in all four sets for the Eagles, getting 34 assists, six digs and four blocks in her first extended playing time of the year.
• The Eagles were held to just .160 hitting in the match and fell victim to 10 service aces by Saint Mary's.
Following a Wednesday night trip to Delaware State, American travels to the Kansas Invitational next Friday and Saturday, facing the host Jayhawks, Loyola Marymount and Auburn.
AU's next home events come on Sept. 14 and 15 when the Eagles host the American Volleyball Classic. AU plays Buffalo on Friday at 7 p.m. before facing Howard on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Penn State on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Tickets to all home games for the 2018 season are on sale now. Season tickets are $50, with general admission seating for individual games at $8. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.