FRESNO, Calif. – Aleksandra Kazala had 10 of her match-high 19 kills in a marathon first set and American University edged the University of San Francisco, 31-29, 25-22, 30-28 early Friday in the Eagles second match of the Fresno State Invitational.
American, 3-2 overall, is scheduled to play host Fresno State on Friday at 10:30 p.m. ET.
• AU's 6-3 early lead was the largest lead by either team in the opening set. There were 14 ties and four lead changes in the first set. AU held off four set points, finally winning the set on an attack error by USF.
• There were 12 ties and six lead changes in the second set and 17 ties and 11 lead changes in the third.
• The two sets that went into overtime were the first decided by extra points for the Eagles this season.
• Kazala's 19 kills were a season-high and she hit .378 in the match.
• Loren McKenzie had 11 kills and no errors in 20 attempts (.550), also finishing with three blocks.
• Junior transfer Jeanne Westney continued her strong play in Fresno, having eight kills and a team-high six blocks.
• USF, playing its first match in the tournament, fell to 2-2 overall.
• Fresno State Tournament Central: https://gobulldogs.com/sports/2018/7/25/fresno-state-invitational-tournament-central.aspx
• Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/fresnostate/wvball/
• AU Twitter: @AU_Volleyball
BACK AT HOME
AU's next home events come on Sept. 14 and 15 when the Eagles host the American Volleyball Classic. AU plays Buffalo on Friday at 7 p.m. before facing Howard on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Penn State on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Tickets to all home games for the 2018 season are on sale now. Season tickets are $50, with general admission seating for individual games at $8. Email email@example.com or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.