FRESNO, Calif. – American University lost the first two sets but rallied to force a fifth set in a 3-2 loss to unbeaten Cal Baptist in its opening match of the Fresno State Invitational volleyball tournament on Thursday night.
The Eagles, now 2-2 on the season, will play twice on Friday, facing San Francisco at 1 p.m. ET and host Fresno State at 10:30 p.m. ET.
• AU lost the opening two sets, 25-12, 25-19. But senior outside Aleksandra Kazala had six of her team-high 14 kills in the third set, sparking the Eagle offense to a 25-15 win.
• American continued to rally in the fourth, surviving eight ties and two lead changes to take a 25-21 victory. But the Lancers improved to 5-0 overall this season by winning the fifth set, 15-12.
• Junior transfer Jeanne Westney saw her first action of the season, getting seven kills and a team-high four blocks.
• Tesa Oaks had 23 kills and Megan Sester added 12 for Cal Baptist, which will play its first season in the Western Athletic Conference in 2018.
• Fresno State Tournament Central: https://gobulldogs.com/sports/2018/7/25/fresno-state-invitational-tournament-central.aspx
• Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/fresnostate/wvball/
• AU Twitter: @AU_Volleyball
BACK AT HOME
AU's next home events come on Sept. 14 and 15 when the Eagles host the American Volleyball Classic. AU plays Buffalo on Friday at 7 p.m. before facing Howard on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Penn State on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Tickets to all home games for the 2018 season are on sale now. Season tickets are $50, with general admission seating for individual games at $8. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.