WASHINGTON, D.C. – Aleksandra Kazala finished with 11 kills to lead American University, which fell to No. 1 Stanford, 25-14, 25-16, 25-19, on Sunday before the largest crowd to attend a volleyball match in D.C. at the Bender Blue Out, presented by the Marines.
The loss was the first of the season for the Eagles, who fell to 2-1. Sunday's match was the first of the season for the Cardinal, which reached the NCAA national semifinals last year.
• The event drew 2,837 to Bender Arena, marking the largest crowd to see a home match for the Eagles. The old record of 2,629 was set on Aug. 30, 2015 when AU lost to fourth-ranked Florida. The crowd was the eighth ever to reach 2,000 or more.
• Kazala's 11 kills were her most of the season thus far. She also chipped in with seven digs and four blocks.
• Kristen Largay, who hit the 1,000 plateau in career digs in Saturday's win at George Washington, had a team-best nine digs on Sunday.
• Loren McKenzie also had four blocks and five kills for the Eagles, who hit .096 for the match.
• Stanford finished with 14 team blocks, getting seven from Tami Alade. Last season's national player of the year, Kathryn Plummer, had 13 kills and nine blocks for the Cardinal, while Meghan McClure also had 13 kills.
American will play four matches in the Fresno State Invitational from Thursday through Saturday. In addition to the host Bulldogs, the Eagles face Cal Baptist, San Francisco and Saint Mary's.
AU's next home events come on Sept. 14 and 15 when the Eagles host the American Volleyball Classic. AU plays Buffalo on Friday at 7 p.m. before facing Howard on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Penn State on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Tickets to all home games for the 2018 season are on sale now. Season tickets are $50, with general admission seating for individual games at $8. Email email@example.com or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.