WASHINGTON, D.C. – Aleksandra Kazala had five of her team-high seven kills in the third set to spark American University to a 25-15, 25-15, 25-14 volleyball win over George Mason Friday in the season-opener for each team.
• American finished with 12 service aces in the match, getting four each from Kazala and Kristen Largay. The total is more than the Eagles posted as a team in any match all last season.
• Junior outside Jasmine Ellison started for the Eagles for the first time since her freshman year and finished with six kills.
• McBride had four of her kills in the second set, as the Eagles hit .474 (11 kills, 2 errors, 19 attempts) and led wire-to-wire.
• The Eagles finished by hitting .296 and posted 11 team blocks to hold the Patriots to a -.011 hitting percentage. Mason had 26 kills and 27 errors.
• Largay led AU with 13 digs and needs only 15 more to become only the seventh AU player to reach 1,000 career digs.
• Siron Hardy had 13 of Mason's 26 kills in the match.
American continues play in the D.C. Volleyball Challenge at 4 p.m. on Saturday when it travels to George Washington. The Colonials are coached by former AU assistant Sarah Bernson.
The Eagles return to Bender Arena on Sunday for a 4 p.m. matchup with No. 1-ranked Stanford. The annual Bender Blue Out is presented by the Marines.
Presale tickets for Sunday's Stanford match are going quickly and a potential sellout is possible.
Tickets to all home games for the 2018 season are on sale now. Season tickets are $50, with general admission seating for individual games at $8. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 885-TIXX to purchase tickets.