Sep 01, 2018
LEXINGTON, VA. — The American University women's soccer team had its program-best five-game unbeaten snapped on Saturday afternoon, 1-0, in double-overtime at VMI.
- After a weather delay lasted over two hours, the Eagles and Keydets finally kicked off around 4:30 p.m.
- Senior Audrey Denkler led the Eagles with nine shots.
- The slick conditions saw each team control a half. VMI outshot the Eagles 10-5 in the first half with AU handling the second half attack 16-5 in shots.
- In the 24th minute, Denkler hit the crossbar for American.
- In the second half, Denkler and junior Samm Francucci each had a chance to score for American, but VMI keeper Ceci Keppeler kept the game scoreless.
- In overtime, sophomore Ryleigh Brown kept the game intact with a save on Kiley Crooper in the 98th minute. A minute later, sophomore Morgan Brinson had a chance on the other end that was stopped.
- In the second overtime period, Sam Franklin scored the game-winning goal off a corner kick by Taylor Callahan in the 104th minute.
- Brown made eight saves for American while VMI's Keppeler made six saves.
- Up Next, American will host Richmond on Sept. 6.