WASHINGTON - The American University lacrosse team (6-7, 1-4 PL) fell to a second-half offensive surge by Boston University (8-4, 4-1 PL) on Saturday, 23-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Vinall led the Eagles with four goals, including a pair in quick succession midway through the first half to cut the opening 5-0 deficit down to two.
- Casey Harkins added another pair while Kendall Goldblum, Peyton Smith, Brooke Stapleton, and Amanda Medjid each walked away with one goal.
- Vinall also added three assists for a team-high seven points, just one away from tying her career-high from earlier this season.
- Leah Brennan pitched in another pair of assists for the Eagles while leading the team on the draw with four.
- Senior goalkeeper Fiona Geier picked up 10 saves in 37 minutes of play while Delaney Oliviera closed out the final 23 minutes of the game with a pair of saves.
- The Terriers were led by four hat trick performances starting with the five goals from Emily Vervlied. Kailey Conry added another four while pitching in a game-high six assists, and Ava Barry and Hannah Kenneally each put away three goals.
- BU keeper Kennady Smith picked up three saves in 49 minutes of play. Bianca Smith closed out the final 10 minutes with another three saves in goal.
- Kaitlin Belval led the team in the circle with seven draw controls followed by six from Tonianne Magnelli.
- The two teams were even with 14 ground balls each, but BU held the advantage in every other category, outshooting the Eagles 49-17 and pulling down 25 draw controls to AU's nine.
- The Terriers picked up the early lead after a 5-0 run in the opening eight minutes before Harkins put AU on the board after a nice feed from Vinall in the ninth minute.
- Goldblum added another less than two minutes later and from there as the Eagles slowly began chipping away at the BU lead.
- A pair of back-to-back goals from Vinall brought the Eagles back within striking distance at 6-4 with 15 minutes left in the first half, but three unanswered BU goals built the gap back up to five at 9-4.
- The Eagles landed back within four after goals from Vinall and Stapleton, but couldn't sneak any closer as the Terriers responded in kind to close the first half at 11-6.
- American struggled to find its rhythm in the second half as BU put up a pair of runs broken up only by Harkins' second and final goal of the day.
- Vinall, Medjid, and Smith closed out the day with goals in the final 15 minutes of regulation, but it wasn't enough to make up the 13-goal deficit as the Eagles fell 23-10.
HEAR FROM COACH JENNA PETRUCELLI
"We're in a really strong league with exceptional competition. Today we fell short but we were reminded of the team we need to be so that we can show up for the big games. Now we're looking forward to being back home next weekend to face Colgate."
American returns home next weekend to host Colgate at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 13. The Eagles will be back on the road at Navy before closing out their home slate with the senior day celebration on Saturday, April 20, against Holy Cross at noon.
For the latest on American University Lacrosse, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Lacrosse.