LEWISBURG, Pa. - The American University lacrosse team (5-4, 0-1 PL) led midway through the second half but couldn't keep pace with a late Bucknell (2-6, 1-0 PL) run as the Eagles fell in the Patriot League opener, 11-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Emma Vinall paced the Eagles with her second five-goal performance of the season to just miss tying her career-high of six.
- Three other players contributed to AU's final scoresheet with Leah Brennan, Casey Harkins, and Kendall Goldblum scoring one each.
- Harkins also added four assists for five points on the day while Brennan and Peyton Smith pitched in one each.
- Casey Aguilar-Gervase picked up a team-high four ground balls while Vinall also led in the circle with three draw controls.
- Goalkeeper Fiona Geier came away with 12 saves.
- Bucknell had seven players score starting with a three-goal effort from Morgan Steinhacker. Eve Calabria and Julia Bradbury added two each while Sarah Dohler, Kali Peeples, Audrey Walsh, and Tegan Warren scored one each.
- Calabria pitched in three of the seven assists for the Bison.
- Bucknell was the first to get on the board but the Eagles were quick to pick up the lead with three unanswered goals from Goldblum, Brennan, and Vinall to take a 3-1 lead with 12:25 left in the half.
- A pair of Bucknell goals tied the game at 3-3 heading into halftime, but the Eagles hit another run to open the second half with three goals in less than three minutes from Vinall.
- Bradbury kept Bucknell in the game, though, hitting a pair of goals to land back within one before Vinall added her fourth and Harkins her first of the day to take an 8-5 lead with under 20 minutes left in the game.
- The Bison controlled the final 15 minutes, though, hitting a 6-0 run including a pair of man-up goals to close with the 11-8 win.
HEAR FROM COACH PETRUCELLI
"We played to win and we dominated possession in the game, but some external factors outside of our control played a role in the momentum we lost toward the end. It's a tough loss, but we know our potential and we're confident in our progress this year. Patriot League play is what we have looked forward to all year, and we have a lot of play left ahead of us. Our eyes are looking ahead to the next game!"
The Eagles will open their home conference schedule on Saturday, March 23, with a 1 p.m. draw against Army West Point.
For the latest on American University Lacrosse, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Lacrosse.