WASHINGTON - The American University lacrosse team is set to open the 2019 campaign with an international flair on Saturday as the Eagles welcome England's Durham University for a noon exhibition at Jacobs Complex.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- This season marks the first for coach Jenna Petrucelli who took over as the program's eighth head coach in July 2018. Petrucelli came to AU from the University of Cincinnati where she was an assistant coach.
- American returns a wealth of experience to its roster this season, including eight of the top nine scorers and the starting goalkeeper from last season with senior Fiona Geier.
- Highlighting the list of returners is junior Erica Skowron, who led the team in points last year with 40 after scoring 15 goals and pitching in a team-high 25 assists.
- Skowron made her mark in the AU record book last season after setting a new single-season record for assists. She also set single-game records in points (11) and assists (6) during the win over Howard.
- Sophomore Emma Vinall followed with 35 points after leading the team with 35 goals.
- Senior Leah Brennan led the team in the circle with 60 draw controls followed by 40 from Vinall.
- Senior Sydney Fry led the team with 34 ground balls followed by 31 from goalkeeper Fiona Geier.
- Geier returns to one final season in the cage after ranking third in the league last season with her 10.2 saves per game.
- Other key returners for the Eagles include junior Izabella Jade, junior Amanda Medjid, junior Casey Harkins, sophomore Peyton Smith, and sophomore Kendall Goldblum.
- AU also welcomes an exciting freshman class with attackers Sophie Ossip (Indianapolis, Ind. / Brebeuf Jesuit) and Jennifer Schaen (Chadds Ford, Pa. / Kennett), defender Ashley Go (Vienna, Va. / James Madison HS), and midfielders Haley Harkins (Poolesville, Md. / Poolesville), Katie Pierce (Holmes Beach, Fla. / Saint Stephen's Episcopal School), Morgan Schaen (Chadds Ford, Pa. / Kennett), Hali Sibilia (Englewood, Colo. / Cherry Creek), and Stefanie Walsh (Huntington, N.Y. / Harborfields).
The Eagles will officially open the 2019 season at home on Wednesday, Feb. 13, with a 3 p.m. draw against UMBC.
For the latest on American University Lacrosse, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_Lacrosse.