Lacrosse's Comeback Attempt Falls Short Against High Point; Watch Highlights


The American University lacrosse team faced a five-goal deficit in the first half and came back to tie it, but were unable to complete the comeback as it fell, 13-11, on Sunday afternoon at Jacobs Field.

"We were resilient and we're getting tougher," said Head Coach Emma Wallace. "[Emily] Maher's really stepping up, she's one of our top athletes out there and she really helped us out on the draw today."

High Point (2-2) jumped out to an early 6-1 advantage with 14:06 left in the first half on Grace Gaeng's second goal of the contest. The Eagles called a timeout and were able to halt the Panther's momentum, answering with four straight tallies to make it a one-goal game, 6-5, with 5:34 to play. Mackenzie Carroll put High Point back up two, but Emily Burton scored with 1.8 seconds remaining for the 7-6 score heading into the intermission.

Emily Maher tied it up a minute and half into the second half with Burton notching the assist for American (0-3). The Panthers answered with back-to-back scores but Olivia Mangan registered her first career goal to bring it back to a one-goal game. High Point went up two once again before consecutive goals from Terese Buechli and Burton cut it to 11-10 with 7:59 remaining.

The Panthers were able to pull away again, taking a 13-10 lead on goals from Kendyl Gardner and Carroll just a minute apart. Alex Lugovina scored with 2:47 to play, but the Eagles were unable to find the equalizer as it fell, 13-11.

Burton, Maher and Nicole Lombardo led American with two goals apiece with Burton posting three assists. Maher collected four ground balls and Mangan and Samantha Marshall had three draw controls each. Teal Harrison notched seven saves.

High Point held the 14-12 edge in draw controls and 16-13 advantage in ground balls collected. Carroll led the Panthers with six goals.

American will head out on the road to take on Richmond on Wednesday, February 27 at 4 p.m.