WASHINGTON - The American University field hockey team (1-3) battled to its first overtime game of the year on Sunday, pushing Old Dominion into a shoot-out before falling to the Monarchs, 1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It was a game highlighted by the efforts of AU's defensive line, as the Eagles held the strong ODU offense at bay throughout the 80 minutes of play.
- Freshman goalkeeper Fiona Minter had her best performance of the season so far, coming away with five saves during regulation and two during the shoot-out.
- The Eagles trailed the Monarchs in shots, 14-6, and penalty corner opportunities, 5-3.
- Junior Noor Coenen led the team with two shots while senior Jette Dieckmann, junior Lauren Fredricks, and freshman Charllene Boshoff each contributed one.
- ODU was led by four shots from Riley Taylor and three from Erin Huffman. The Monarchs' goalkeeper Cam MacGillivray came away with two saves.
- Coenen put away her attempt and added a stroke after a penalty was called later in the shootout. But, goals from ODU's Ilse Westera, Riley Taylor, and Erin Huffman gave the Monarchs the final 3-2 advantage.
HEAR FROM COACH JENNINGS
"We were encouraged again by the progress our team showed today against a very strong opponent in ODU. Our deep defense made big improvements and put us in a position to win the game. We will keep working hard and trying to grow for our upcoming matches. I think we are really close to turning the corner."
American will continue its four-game road series a bit closer to home next weekend with two games at Maryland for the Terrapin Invitational. The Eagles will open against James Madison at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, September 13, and will close at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday against Towson.
The next AU home game is at 4 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 19, against UC Davis. The Eagles will open Patriot League play at home on Saturday, Sept. 28, at noon against Bucknell.
For the latest on American University Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter (@AU_FieldHockey) and Instagram (@aufieldhockey).