WASHINGTON - Senior Annaka Groschinski had two goals to lead the five Eagles' scorers as American University defeated Colgate, 6-1, on Saturday in the final Patriot League field hockey game of the regular season.
The Eagles improved to 8-7 overall and finish league play at 4-2. The Raiders fell to 3-14 overall and 0-6 in the PL.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Junior Jette Dieckmann opened the scoring at the 7:06 mark, converting a rebound off a long shot from the right side by senior Annaka Groschinski.
- Sophomore Noor Coenen hit a long blast from the right side that went just under the crossbar at 12:09.
- Groschinski added the team's third after she took a feed from senior Rafaela Rubas at the left wing during the team's first penalty corner opportunity of the game.
- Groschinski added her second goal on the day less than 10 minutes later after taking a penalty corner feed from senior Lucy Whalley and freshman Georgia Davies.
- Davies and Borcherding both scored in the second half to put AU up 6-0 before Colgate's Taylor Casamassa put the Raiders on the board with 6:47 left to play.
- American finished with advantages in shots (18-6) and penalty corners (7-1).
- Senior Maura Jacobs and junior Caroline Miller each picked up one save in goal for the Eagles.
- The Eagles will return home on Sunday, Oct. 28, to host No. 4 UConn for senior day. This will be the last game of the regular season for the Eagles, as they begin to look toward the Patriot League Tournament in Boston, Mass., next weekend.
For the latest on American University Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_FieldHockey.