WASHINGTON – The American University field hockey team is in Lewisburg, Pa., this weekend for an important Patriot League matchup against Bucknell at 11 a.m. on Saturday. The Bison, currently ranked second in the league, is one of two still-undefeated teams in the PL (6-4, 2-0 PL) while the Eagles come into the weekend third in the latest conference standings (5-4, 2-1 PL).
LAST TIME OUT
- AU earned the 250th career win for head coach Steve Jennings in style last weekend, outpacing Lehigh, 9-1.
- Sophomore Noor Coenen, freshman Aidan Rossman, and junior Kathryn Roncoroni led the team with two goals each, followed by one goal from sophomore Ella Arata, senior Megan Benson, and senior Rachel Stefano.
- Coenen and senior Lucy Whalley also pitched in with two assists each while sophomore Lauren Fredricks, freshman Georgia Davies, junior Jette Dieckmann, Benson, Groschinski, and Rubas each added one.
- The Eagles dominated play, leading Lehigh in shots, 29-4, and penalty corners, 15-1. Senior goalkeeper Maura Jacobs picked up one save on the day.
- The Eagles lead the league with 10.0 points, 3.44 goals, and 3.11 assists per game. They also rank seventh in NCAA Division I for assists per game, 10th for both goals and points per game, and 11th for scoring average.
- Freshman Aidan Rossman earned her first weekly nod from the conference as she was selected as the Patriot League Rookie of the Week after scoring a season-high two goals against the Mountain Hawks last weekend. Rossman is one of three freshmen who have added to the Eagles' scoresheet so far this season along with Georgia Davies (3 goals, 2 assists) and Hannah Moser (2 goals).
- Sophomore Noor Coenen leads AU with 14 points off a team-high five goals and four assists. She ranks third in the Patriot League for points (1.56 per game), and fourth in goals behind sophomore Carlotta Borcherding.
- Senior Rafaela Rubas, the 2017 Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year, sits just behind with 12 points (3 goals, 6 assists).
- Senior Annaka Groschinski demolished her previous career-best with a team-high seven assists. Her .778 assists per game leads the league and ranks 10th in the NCAA while Rubas sits in second in the PL, 13th in the NCAA, with .667 per game.
- Senior goalkeeper Maura Jacobs continues to creep closer to the 200-save milestone. She currently sits at 183 over her four years and is averaging 5.44 saves per game. Jacobs remains one of the top keepers in the league, ranking second with her 1.824 goals against average and .742 save percentage.
- This will be a chance for redemption for AU, who fell in a shootout to Bucknell during the 2017 Patriot League semifinal round. The Eagles are 24-7 against the Bison after topping them at home during the 2017 regular season, 4-0.
SCOUTING THE BISON
- Bucknell is one of two undefeated teams left in the Patriot League with an overall record of 6-4 and a league record of 2-0. Two of the Bison's four losses came to ranked teams with No. 17 James Madison, 3-0, and No. 12 Syracuse, 3-0.
- Bucknell is coming off a 3-2 win over VCU last weekend. The Bison have also posted wins over Colgate, 6-0, and Lehigh, 5-1.
- Junior Brittany Willwerth and senior Lexi Quick hold the top two spots in the league for points with 1.70 per game and 1.60 per game, respectively.
- Willwerth leads the team with 17 points this season on a team-high 7 goals and three assists. Quick follows close behing with 16 points off five goals and a team-high six assists.
- Senior Sally Olson owns the team's only two defensive saves so far this season.
- Junior Olivia Harris leads the team from the cage and holds a league-high 1.659 goals against average. She has posted two shutouts so far this season and holds a .738 save percentage.
The Eagles will return home for a pair of nonconference games next weekend against Towson (Friday, Oct. 12) and Old Dominion (Sunday, Oct.14). For the latest on American University Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_FieldHockey.