WASHINGTON – The American University field hockey team (3-3) will host defending Patriot League champion No. 21 Boston University (4-2) on Saturday in a noon showdown at Jacobs Complex to open the 2018 conference schedule.
With both teams being among the top in the conference in recent years, this matchup potentially holds hosting implications for the Patriot League Tournament in November. BU will fight to host the PL tournament for the fourth consecutive season, while AU hasn't claimed home-field advantage since 2013.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Eagles are coming off a pair of losses to No. 17 Harvard (5-2) and No. 12 Delaware (1-0) during last weekend's Terrapin Invitational.
- Freshman Georgia Davies and sophomore Carlotta Borcherding scored AU's only two goals of the weekend during a second-half surge against Harvard.
- Sunday's 1-0 loss to No. 12 Delaware was the first scoreless game for the Eagles this season.
- Senior goalkeeper Maura Jacobs had a single-weekend career-high with nine saves each against Harvard and Delaware for a total of 18 over the two games.
- Senior goalkeeper Maura Jacobs earned the Eagles' first Patriot League weekly honor of the season as the conference's goalkeeper of the week. Jacobs had a career-high weekend, putting up back-to-back nine-save performances against No. 17 Harvard and No. 12 Delaware for her highest single-weekend output in the AU uniform.
- Sophomore Carlotta Borcherding leads the team with eight points off four goals so far this season. A career-high for the forward, she also ranks third in the Patriot League for points and second for goals.
- Freshman Georgia Davies and senior Rafaela Rubas follow with seven points each. Davies ranks second for the Eagles with three goals while Rubas holds two.
- Six more Eagles hold positions on the season scoresheet with one goal each.
- Senior Annaka Groschinski has chipped in a team-high four assists and ranks second in the conference.
- Jacobs is among the top three goalkeepers in the league with her 2.087 goals against average and .764 save percentage.
SCOUTING THE TERRIERS
- The Eagles are 3-10 against Patriot League foe-Boston University. The last time the two teams met was on BU's home field during the 2017 regular season when the Terriers took a 2-1 win.
- The last time AU won over the Terriers was a 1-0 victory during the 2016 Patriot League Championship final in Boston.
- No. 21 Boston University claimed back-to-back victories last weekend against Miami (Ohio), 2-1, and No. 9 Northwestern, 4-3 (OT).
- Maika Akroyd, Ailsa Connolly, and Kara Enoch all scored goals during regulation against No. 9 Northwestern to push the game into overtime, where Kiley Gallagher claimed the game-winner.
- Connolly leads BU with 12 points on five goals and two assists. She also leads the league with a 2.00 points per game average and .833 goals per game.
- Five other Terriers follow with two goals, while another two have scored one so far this season.
- Ally Hammel, the 2017 PL Defensive Player of the Year, has pitched in a team-high four assists along with a pair of goals to come in second for the Terriers with eight points.
- Kathleen Keegan leads the team in goal with a .455 save percentage and 1.49 goals against average. Millie Baker and Livy Golini have also contributed time in net and are currently holding .600 and .250 save percentages, respectively.
For the latest on American University Field Hockey, stay tuned to AUEagles.com and follow the team on Twitter @AU_FieldHockey.