Sprague advanced to the third round of the consolation bracket in action Friday, beating Joshua Hall of Campbell, 1-0, in a tie-breaker round and losing 3-1 to Anthony Artalona of Penn in sudden-victory.
Terao lost on a technical fall to Austin Gomez of Iowa State.
American finished with 1.5 points in the team standings by virtue of three consolation-round wins. The Eagles will finish tied for 49th out of the 70 teams participating.
• Sprague survived his opening match of the session, winning in a tie-breaker. He and 11th-seeded Joshua Heil were scoreless through regulation and neither scored in the sudden-victory period. Starting in the down position, Sprague got an escape with 18 seconds left in the first tie-breaker, then rode the full 30 seconds on top in the second tie-breaker to finish off the win.
• Sprague has used his ability to ride opponents in the top position, riding out two periods against Heil and the final period in his win Thursday night against Khristian Olivas of Fresno State.
• Following a scoreless first period in his second match of the session, Sprague and No. 13-seed Anthony Artalona of Penn traded escapes in the second and third periods. They went to the sudden-victory period tied at 1-1 before Artalona ended the match with a takedown nine seconds in.
• Sprague finished his four varsity seasons with an 85-61 career record, tying him with Danny Mitchell for 13th on the all-time wins list at AU. He ended his season 25-11.
• 13th-seeded Austin Gomez of Iowa State had a seven-point first period against Terao and extended the edge to 8-0 after the second. He got two takedowns and four-point near fall to finish a 17-1 technical fall over Terao in 5:41.
• Terao ended his career sixth all-time at AU with a 103-41 record, including a 24-7 mark this season.
FRIDAY'S AU RESULTS
#19 JOSH TERAO (133)
ConsR2 – #13 Austin Gomez (Iowa State) tech. fall Terao, 17-1 (5:41)
#28 MICHAEL SPRAGUE (149)
ConsR2 – Sprague dec. #11 Joshua Heil (Campbell), 1-0 (TB-2)
ConsR3 – #13 Anthony Artalona (Penn) dec. Sprague, 3-1 (SV-1)