ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Michael Sprague and Josh Terao each won matchups between wrestlers ranked earlier in the day by the NCAA to help American University to a 19-18 victory at Navy in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association dual match on Thursday.
The Eagles beat the Midshipmen by viture of a tie-breaker, which awarded an extra team point for AU's six wins to Navy's four over the evening.
American, which beat Navy for only the second time in history and the first time since 2009, improved to 5-4 in dual matches this season. Navy fell to 6-3 and 3-2 in the EIWA.
• All six Eagles victories were by decisions, while two of Navy's four wins came by fall.
• Sprague, ranked 33rd nationally, earned a 7-6 win in the tie-breaker period over No. 22 Jared Prince in the opening matchup, giving the Eagles a 3-0 team lead.
• Kizhan Clarke followed with a 3-1 victory at 157.
• The Mids took a 9-6 win with a pin and decision in the next two bouts before 26th-ranked Tanner Harvey tied the match with a 4-0 win at 184.
• Terao, ranked 18th, beat No. 28 Casey Cobb at 133, before 17th-ranked Nicholas Gil edged No. 30 Jack Mutchnik, 5-1 in the tie-breaker period at 141.
• Terao picked up his 97th career victory and is closing on becoming the ninth Eagle to reach the 100-win plateau in his career.
AMERICAN 19, NAVY 18
149 – #33 Michael Sprague (AU) dec. #22 Jared Prince, 7-6 (TB-1) AU, 3-0
157 – Kizhan Clarke (AU) dec. Quentin Hovis, 3-1 AU, 6-0
165 – #26 Tanner Skidgel (Navy) pinned Anthony Wokasch, 3 :23 Tied, 6-6
174 – #20 Spencer Carey (Navy) dec. Conner Allshouse, 7-3 Navy, 9-6
184 – #26 Tanner Harvey (AU) dec. Anthony Cable, 4-0 Tied, 9-9
197 – #31 Joshua Roetman (Navy) pinned Prince Hyeamang, 6:15 Navy, 15-9
285 – Niko Camacho (AU) dec. Thomas Ott, 3-1 Navy, 15-12
125 – Gage Curry (AU) dec. Jacob Allen, 7-6 Tied, 15-15
133 – #18 Josh Terao (AU) dec. #28 Casey Cobb, 4-1 AU, 18-15
141 – #17 Nicholas Gil (Navy) dec. #30 Jack Mutchnik, 5-1 (TB-1) Tied, 18-18
AU wins match on tie-breaker… AU won 6 matches, Navy won 4
Rankings from 2/14 NCAA Coaches' Panel
Eagles now 5-4, 5-2 EIWA
Midshipmen now 6-3, 3-2 EIWA
COACH MOORE SAID
"We're very proud of our team tonight," said AU head coach Teague Moore. "All 10 wrestlers gave a huge effort. Once again our seniors Michael Sprague, Josh Terao and Jack Mutchnik gave great performances. Michael's win shows that he has national-caliber potential in March."
"Kizhan Clarke, Tanner Harvey, Niko Camacho and Gage Curry stepped up big-time as the underclassmen, pulling the victories we needed. Six wins, all decisions, no bonus points. In every way, it was a gritty win."
The Eagles return home for their final two dual matches of the season. American plays host to George Mason on Friday, Feb. 15, and hosts Senior Night on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Old Dominion.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
AU Athletics has extended its offer for two free tickets to all federal government workers for the remainder of the winter-sport seasons.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX.
To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).