ANNAPOLIS, Md.– American University renews one of its local wrestling rivalries on Thursday when it travels across Route 50 to face Navy in a battle of Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association foes.
The Eagles are 4-4 overall after having won three of its last four duals. The last two matches have come down to the final bouts, as American won at Drexel, 21-16, and at Bucknell, 22-21, in its last two outings.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
• Senior Josh Terao (133 pounds) comes into the Navy dual having won five straight. He is four wins away from becoming only the ninth Eagle to hit 100 career victories.
• Senior Jack Mutchnik leads AU in victories (21), dual-match victories (6), and dual-match points (22). He faces a difficult pairing at 141 pounds on Thursday against 18th-ranked Nicholas Gil. Mutchnik was ranked 32nd in the most recent NCAA coaches panel.
• Senior Michael Sprague also has put together a strong season, coming into Thursday at 17-6 and 5-3 in duals. He has won four of his last five bouts, with the only loss being a 3-2 loss to 17th-ranked Cortlandt Schuyler of Lehigh.
• Sophomore Tanner Harvey is the fourth Eagle who is nationally ranked, listed 27th at 184 pounds. Terao (19th) and Sprague (31st) joined Mutchnik in the NCAA listing two weeks ago.
SCOUTING THE MIDSHIPMEN
• Navy is 6-2 overall and 3-1 in the EIWA this season. The Mids have won three straight, having beaten Duke (22-16), Drexel (25-12) and Old Dominion (24-10) during the streak.
• Gil is 23-5 at 141 points and leads Navy in victories. Casey Cobb (22-7 at 133), Spencer Carey (20-11 at 174) and Joshua Roetman (20-7 at 197) have also hit the 20-win plateau this season.
• Gil and Carey (18th at 174) are the highest of the six Mids who were ranked in the NCAA coaches panel. Jared Prince (22nd at 149), Cobb (30th at 133), Tanner Skidgel (27th at 165) and Roetman (31st at 197) were also listed.
The Eagles return home for their final two dual matches of the season. American plays host to George Mason on Friday, Feb. 15 and hosts Senior Night on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Old Dominion.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
AU Athletics has extended its offer for two free tickets to all federal government workers for the remainder of the winter-sport seasons.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX.
To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).