LEWISBURG, Pa.– Niko Camacho earned a second-period pin in the heavyweight bout to end a Bucknell rally and lift American University to a 22-21 win over the Bison in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association match on Friday night.
• Michael Sprague scored 26 points and finished a 26-6 technical fall in the opening bout at 149 pounds. Sprague has won four of his last five matches and gave the Eagles an early 5-0 lead.
• Kizhan Clarke lost 7-4 to 10th-ranked Zach Hartman at 157, starting a three-match winning streak by Bucknell, giving the Bison a 14-5 lead.
• Tanner Harvey picked up another technical fall for the Eagles at 184, also rolling up 20 points in a 20-5 win.
• Following a major decision by the Bison at 197, Camacho pinned Eric Chakonis in 3:56 of the heavyweight matchup to bring AU back within 18-16. The win by Camacho improved his dual-match record to 3-5.
• Bucknell won at 125 to go ahead 21-16 before Terao and Mutchnik each posted 8-1 victories to wipe out the deficit and give the Eagles the team win.
COACH MOORE SAID
"Tonight our upper-classmen showed leadership and determination," said head coach Teague Moore. "Michael Sprague scored 26 points to open the dual, and both Josh Terao and Jack Mutchnik battled their way to victories to earn the team victory.
"One of the most exciting moments was seeing freshman Niko Camacho get the fall. He earned that win. Tanner Harvey once again proved that his offense is tough to stop, and we appreciate him digging deep for those bonus team points.
"This was a good wakeup call that we need to work together.
AMERICAN 22, BUCKNELL 21
149 – #31 Michael Sprague (AU) tech. fall over Joey Schiele, 26-6 (7:00) AU, 5-0
157 – #10 Zach Hartman (Buck) dec. Kizhan Clarke, 7-4 AU, 5-3
165 – D.J. Hollinghsead (Buck) pinned Anthony Wokasch, 3:46 Buck, 9-5
174 – Nick Stephani (Buck) tech. fall over Colin Shannon, 16-0 (4:55) Buck, 14-5
184 - #27 Tanner Harvey (AU) tech. fall over Jacob Ferreira, 20-5 (6:59) Buck, 14-10
197 – Drew Phipps (Buck) major dec. Prince Hyeamang, 14-0 Buck, 18-10
285 – Niko Camacho (AU) pinned Eric Chakonis, 3:56 Buck, 18-16
125 – Jake Campbell (Buck) dec. Gage Curry, 11-5 Buck, 21-16
133 - #19 Josh Terao (AU) dec. David Campbell, 8-1 Buck, 21-19
141 - #32 Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Brett Rezendes, 8-1 AU, 22-21
Eagles now 4-4, 4-2 EIWA
Bison now 6-8, 4-4 EIWA
The Eagles travel to Navy on Feb. 14 before returning home for their final two dual matches of the season. American plays host to George Mason on Friday, Feb. 15 and hosts Senior Night on Friday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m. against Old Dominion.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
AU Athletics has extended its offer for two free tickets to all federal government workers for the remainder of the winter-sport seasons.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX.
To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).