WASHINGTON– Gage Curry and Josh Terao won the final two bouts of the evening, but Lehigh scored a 25-12 victory over American University in an Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association dual match on Saturday at Bender Arena.
The Eagles fell to 2-4 overall and 2-2 in league matches, while Lehigh improved to 4-7.
• Curry edged Luke Resnick in the 125-pound bout, 6-4. He carried a 5-2 edge into the third period and held on for a tight victory.
• Terao, ranked 15th nationally, got a pair of near falls in the second period to take a 6-3 edge into the third. He led 8-5 before finishing off a 10-5 win with a takedown in the final seconds. Terao improved to 15-4 with the win and improved his career record to 94-38.
• Prince Hyeamang got a win for the Eagles in the 197-pound bout when Jordan Wood had to default due to injury. The six-point win for AU stopped a six-bout streak by Lehigh.
• Jack Mutchnik lost his first overtime match of the season against six wins, opening the evening with a 5-4 loss at 141 pounds.
LEHIGH 25, AMERICAN 12
141 – Ryan Pomrinca (Lehigh) dec. Jack Mutchnik, 5-4 (TB-1) LEH, 3-0
149 – Cortlandt Schuyler (Lehigh) dec. Michael Sprague, 3-2 LEH, 6-0
157 - #18 Josh Humphreys (Lehigh) dec. Kizhan Clarke, 8-5 LEH, 9-0
165 – Gordon Wolf (Lehigh) tech. fall Elijah Murphy, 20-2 (4:48) LEH, 14-0
174 - #7 Jordan Kutler (Lehigh) major dec. Conner Allshouse, 16-3 LEH, 18-0
184 – Chris Weiler (Lehigh) dec. Tanner Harvey, 9-7 LEH, 21-0
197 – Prince Hyeamang (AU) over #18 Jake Jakobsen, injury def. (4:07) LEH, 21-6
285 - #7 Jordan Wood (Lehigh) major dec. Niko Camacho, 12-2 LEH, 25-6
125 – Gage Curry (AU) dec. Luke Resnick, 6-4 LEH, 25-9
133 - #15 Josh Terao (AU) dec. Brandon Paetzell, 10-5 LEH, 25-12
Eagles now 2-4, 2-2 EIWA
Mountain Hawks now 4-7, 3-1 EIWA
The Eagles have three duals on the road before returning to Bender Arena on Friday, Feb. 15 to play host to George Mason. AU travels to Drexel on Saturday, Feb. 2 for a 7 p.m. dual.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
Due to the current federal government shutdown, AU Athletics has announced that throughout the month of January, all federal government workers may receive two free tickets to home athletic events at American University - including upcoming men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling events in Bender Arena.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com call 202.885.TIXX (8499).