WASHINGTON – American University brings a two-match winning streak into arguably its toughest dual-match test of the season on Saturday when it plays host to Lehigh at 7:30 p.m.
The Eagles are now 2-3 overall after sweeping last weekend's home matches with Columbia (26-10) and Hofstra (22-12). AU is 2-1 against opponents from the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
• Michael Sprague and Josh Terao each won a pair of matches by major decisions last weekend. Sprague improved to 15-5 overall and outscored his opponents 23-1 in two matches, whlle Terao is now 14-4 after his victories last weekend included wins of 20-7 and 17-5.
• Terao is now 93-38 in his career and already has seven wins by technical fall this season. He was ranked 15th this week by Wrestling Insider Magazine, the only AU wrestler nationally ranked so far this season.
• Senior Jack Mutchnik also had a pair of victories last weekend and leads the Eagles with a 19-7 overall record. Mutchnik is a team-best 4-1 in dual matches so far.
• Redshirt sophomore Tanner Harvey got the Eagles' only win by fall last weekend, stopping Columbia's Brian Bonino in just 1:54. Harvey has a team-best six wins by fall this year.
SCOUTING THE MOUNTAIN HAWKS
• Lehigh is 3-7 overall this season but has wrestled an extremely difficult schedule. Six of the Mountain Hawks' seven losses were to teams nationally ranked at the time, including Penn State (No. 1 this week by NWCA), Iowa (No. 4), Missouri (No. 5), Michigan (No. 6) and Minnesota (No. 7).
• Five Lehigh wrestlers are ranked nationally by InterMat. Junior 174-pounder Jordan Kutler, senior Ryan Preisch (184) and sophomore heavyweight Jordan Wood are all seventh. Freshman Josh Humphreys and sophomore Jake Jakobsen are ranked 18th.
• The Mountain Hawks have won three straight, including home victories last weekend over Bucknell (34-12) and 7th-ranked Cornell (19-16).
The Eagles have three duals on the road before returning to Bender Arena on Friday, Feb. 15 to play host to George Mason. AU travels to Drexel on Saturday, Feb. 2 for a 7 p.m. dual.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
Due to the current federal government shutdown, AU Athletics has announced that throughout the month of January, all federal government workers may receive two free tickets to home athletic events at American University - including upcoming men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling events in Bender Arena.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org call 202.885.TIXX (8499).