WASHINGTON– Tanner Harvey earned a first-period pin in the 184-pound bout to lift American University to a 26-10 victory over Columbia in a dual wrestling match Saturday at Bender Arena.
The win was the Eagles' first in the dual-match season and improved their record to 1-3 and 1-1 in the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association. The Lions fell to 4-1 and 0-1.
• Harvey got an early takedown and near-fall on his way to a fall at the 1:54 mark. His pin of Brian Bonino was his team-high sixth of the season. Harvey is a transfer from Southwestern Oregon CC who won the junior college national championship last year.
• Josh Terao got AU started well, as the match started at 133 pounds. He scored 11 points in the third period alone to earn a 20-7 major decision. He fell just two points short of posting his eighth technical fall of the year in improving his record to 13-4.
• The Lions pulled back within 11-7 with wins at 157 and 165, but Colin Shannon took a 4-2 lead after the first period at 174 and held on for an important 7-5 win over Max Elling.
• Harvey's fall gave the Eagles a 20-7 team edge before Columbia got a 2-1 win over Prince Hyeamang at 197.
• Niko Camacho won the heavyweight pairing, 2-1, using the riding-time point for the winning margin, before Gage Curry ended the dual with a 10-5 win at 125. Curry held leads of 4-1 and 6-2 after the first two periods.
AMERICAN 26, COLUMBIA 10
133 – #16 Josh Terao (AU) major dec. Spencer Good, 20-7 AU, 4-0
141 – Jack Mutchnik (AU) dec. Danny Fongaro, 7-2 AU, 7-0
149 – Michael Sprague (AU) major dec. Cole Corrigan, 13-0 AU, 11-0
157 - #12 Dan Reed (COL) major dec. Kizhan Clarke, 13-4 AU, 11-4
165 – Laurence Kosoy (COL) dec. Anthony Wokasch, 8-4 AU, 11-7
174 – Colin Shannon (AU) dec. Max Elling, 7-5 AU, 14-7
184 – Tanner Harvey (AU) pinned Brian Bonino, 1 :54 AU, 20-7
197 – Sam Wustefeld (COL) dec. Prince Hyeamang, 2-1 AU, 20-10
285 – Niko Camacho (AU) dec. Daniel Herman, 2-1 AU, 23-10
125 – Gage Curry (AU) dec. Joe Manchio, 10-5 AU, 26-10
American continues its homestand next Saturday at 7:30 p.m. in a dual match against Lehigh.
FREE ADMISSION TO FEDERAL WORKERS
Due to the current federal government shutdown, AU Athletics has announced that throughout the month of January, all federal government workers may receive two free tickets to home athletic events at American University - including upcoming men's basketball, women's basketball and wrestling events in Bender Arena.
With a valid federal government ID, fans will receive free admission for themselves and a guest to support and cheer on the AU Eagles to victory.
For more information and complete details, contact the AU Athletics Ticket Office at 202-885-TIXX. To purchase tickets and view full schedules click here!
Tickets to all home duals for the 2019 season are on sale now.
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com call 202.885.TIXX (8499).