A resurgent Josh Terao and four Eagles already with double figures in victories hit the mat this weekend as the American University wrestling team sends split squads to the Reno Tournament of Champions and the 88th annual Wilkes Open.
Some Eagle starters are off to Reno on Thursday, part of a 23-school field that includes some nationally ranked teams. The remainder of the team will participate on Saturday, Dec. 22 at the 88th Wilkes Open in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Terao is part of that group after posting a 7-0 mark in his first two tournaments back after missing some November action while recovering from an offseason injury. The two-time NCAA qualifier is listed by FloWrestling.com as one of the favorites at 133 pounds.
Harvey, 11-4, is wrestling his first season as an Eagle after winning the junior college national title last year at Southwestern Oregon CC. Mutchnik is 11-5 so far this season, with five of his victories coming in overtime. He went 4-2 at the prestigious Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.
Sophomore Kizhan Clarke and senior Michael Sprague have 10 victories each so far this season for AU. Clarke has moved up to 157 pounds over the past few weeks, while Sprague is coming off an NCAA-qualifying season a year ago.
After the holiday break, American will travel to Wyoming to face dual matches against the host Cowboys, North Carolina and Army West Point.
The Eagles' first home event of the season is on Saturday, Jan. 12 at 7 p.m. in a dual match against Columbia. American wrestles the next day in a Sunday matinee at noon against Hofstra.
WRESTLING SEASON TICKETS
Tickets to all five home duals for the 2018-19 season are on sale now.
- SAVE BIG (OVER 20% OFF) - Attend all 5 home duals by purchasing season tickets…
- Adult- General Admission: $30.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $15.00
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com call 202.885.TIXX (8499).