ANNAPOLIS– Sophomore transfer Tanner Harvey made the most of his debut with the American University wrestling team by taking third place in the 184-pound bracket at Saturday's Navy Classic.
Michael Sprague also earned a place for the Eagles, finishing sixth at 149 pounds. Sprague, a senior, was an NCAA qualifier for American last year.
The Eagles finished 13th in the team standings. Michigan State and Indiana finished first and second, with the host Midshipmen in third.
• Harvey, the NJCAA national champion from a year ago, won his first three matches before losing 7-5 in the semifinals to eventual-champion Cameron Caffey of Michigan State. After dropping to the consolation bracket, he earned third with pins of Hunter Yeargan of Ohio University (4:40) and Andrew McNally of Kent State (5:27).
• Sprague opened with a 10-0 major decision over Chris Matzke of Edinboro and a 6-2 win over Robert Long of Navy. He lost 7-5 to Jaden Enriquez of Michigan State, but advanced to the fifth-place match with wins over Justin Yorkdale of George Mason and Zachary Krause of Brown.
• Senior Jack Mutchnik had three victories at 141 pounds, going 3-2 on the day all with decisions.
• Kizhan Clarke opened his day with major decisions over Morgan Fuenffinger of Navy and Sam Matzek of Cleveland State. He dropped his next two matches at 149, but joined Sprague in the quarterfinals.
American will take the Thanksgiving holiday off before competing on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational.
AU WRESTLING SEASON TICKETS
Tickets to all five home duals for the 2018-19 season are on sale now.
- SAVE BIG (OVER 20% OFF) - Attend all 5 home duals by purchasing season tickets…
- Adult- General Admission: $30.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $15.00
- Bring a group of 10+ and save over 40% off your purchase…
- $3 per person
- Join us in Bender Arena for individual duals…
- Adult – General Admission: $8.00
- Youth (17 & below) / Senior (65+) – General Admission: $5.00
- Military/Veterans – General Admission: Free Admission with Identification
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE TICKETS!
For inquiries e-mail email@example.com or call 202.885.TIXX (8499).