Nov 02, 2018
WEST POINT, N.Y. — The fate of the American University men's soccer team postseason bid waits until Saturday afternoon as the Eagles dropped a 2-1 decision to Army West Point on Friday evening.
- With the loss, American still can clinch a berth into the Patriot League Tournament but will need help from Navy (win or tie) who travel to Bucknell for a 1 p.m. start on Saturday.
- As of Friday evening, American, if they are the sixth seed, can play at either Colgate or Lehigh in the PL Quarterfinals on Tuesday.
- Sophomore Oscar McConnell scored for the Eagles in the 56th minute off a pass from classmate Jerry Zouantcha.
- Army West Point scored both goals in a span of 3:33 late in the contest. Keenan O'Shea scored both goals for the Black Knights. His first was on a penalty shot and then his second came from the left side after he dribbled into open space and fired to the far post.
- Army West Point outshot American, 11-6 with a majority of the opportunities in the first half.
- Freshman keeper Lucas Manso made three saves for the Eagles.
- Army's Justin Stoll only faced the shot he allowed to McConnell.
- American must scoreboard watch on Saturday to determine its next opponent.
- If American qualifies for the PL Quarterfinals it will be played at either Colgate or Lehigh on Tuesday.