Aug 23, 2018
WASHINGTON — The American University men's soccer team is set to start the 2018 season with a home contest against George Mason on Friday at 4 p.m.
- Kuykenstrong DC College Cup — Named in honor of former American University student-athlete and assistant coach Shawn Kuykendall, the Kuykenstrong DC College Cup is played between George Mason and American. Entering its fifth season, each team has won the trophy twice.
- Doug Dugan Day — The Doug Dugan Excellence Award is named in memory of soccer alumnus and beloved husband, father, and friend, Doug Dugan '81, who died on July 18, 2016. Doug's family, former teammates, and classmates remember him as a high-quality player, dedicated teammate and fun-loving individual who remained selfless and ever upbeat as he battled a debilitating disease his entire adult life. The first Doug Dugan Excellence Award was presented to Panos Nakhid in 2016.
- Eagles Welcome 11 New Members — American University welcomes 11 new members to the 2018 roster — Matt Barresi, Josiah Bostic, Will Giannakouros, Tomas Lindquist, William Mangoue, Lucas Manso, Fabio Massaro, Malachy McGovern, Tommy Rizzoli, Viggo Sjoberg and Michael Singghi.
- Nick to The Rescue — Sophomore Nick Dimitrijevic averaged a point per game last season for American with 15 points in 15 games. He led the Eagles with seven goals and scored a hattrick against Navy. Dimitrijevic scored in four of the final seven games.
- Scouting George Mason — The Patriots will be looking for some new offensive power after losing Henning Dirks and Ryan Mingachos to graduation. Tunde Akinlolsotu and Graydon Hester return as the top scorers from last season for the Patriots. Each had six points with two goals and two assists. Mason returns both goalkeepers from last season as Corey Chambers and Tomas Lapnas each played nine games.