Men’s Soccer Unable to Muster Goal in Scoreless Draw Versus Lehigh; Watch Video Highlights

Matt Makowski
Matt Makowski

Click here to watch prematch Senior Day ceremony

The American University men's soccer team hosted Lehigh on a wet Saturday afternoon at Reeves Field, and a torrential downpour made play challenging for both squads. Despite numerous good scoring opportunities for the Eagles, they were unable to get on the scoreboard and the match ended in a 0-0 double overtime draw.

Video has no source Url in width="425" height="344">

American (8-3-2, 4-0-1 Patriot League) controlled the action for the majority of the 110 minutes of play, but was unable to muster a goal on the saturated, soggy grass at Reeves Field. Lehigh (7-5-3, 2-2-1 PL) was aided by fantastic play by its defensive unit, recording four team saves on shots that had beaten goalkeeper Jonathan Nydell and appeared to be heading for the back of the net.

After a scoreless first half, where both teams had limited scoring opportunities, the Eagles increased the pressure on Lehigh in the second stanza. Just over 10 minutes into the second half, AU junior Nick Kapus fired a shot that got past Nydell, but a defender was in perfect position to make the play and hold the Eagles off the scoreboard.

American continued to drive the ball deep into Lehigh territory as the second half went along, and the best scoring chance came with just over three minutes remaining in the match. American junior Daniel Shannon fired a shot on goal, which appeared to be heading for the back of the net, but a Lehigh defender was there to make the save. The ball immediately found AU's Cameron Petty, who played another point-blank shot on goal, although it was saved yet again by the Lehigh defense. The Eagles had a final opportunity on the fast-developing play, as the ball found Shannon's foot, but his second shot in a matter of seconds missed just wide right.  

Lehigh was able to survive AU's pressure down the stretch, and push the match into sudden-death overtime. In the first 10 minute overtime period, the best opportunity for either side occurred when AU's Petty fired a shot that sailed just high of the goal.

In the second overtime stanza, American's Mike Worden had a tremendous scoring chance when, for a fourth time in the match, Lehigh's defensive unit came up with a game-saving stop when AU had beaten the goalkeeper Nydell. After 110 minutes of play in muddy, wet conditions, American and Lehigh had battled to a 0-0 draw.

AU goalkeeper Matt Makowski recorded four saves and earned his fourth shutout of the season.

"[The conditions] certainly affected the game," American University Head Coach Todd West said on his live postmatch interview on Eagles Vision TV. "When we kicked off, we started off maybe as well as we played all season for 10 or 15 minutes and then the skies opened up and you couldn't play soccer anymore on the field. It affected both teams to be sure..."

With the result, American pushes its unbeaten streak to eight consecutive matches, which include six wins and two ties during the stretch. The Eagles remain alone in first place in the Patriot League with a 4-0-1 record.

Prior to the match, AU's ten men's soccer student-athletes were honored in Senior Day festivities. With today's result, the senior class has compiled a 14-6-6 record in Patriot League play in the last three-plus seasons.

The Eagles will be back in action this Wednesday, October 28 at crosstown rival Georgetown. Match time is set for 3 p.m.