WASHINGTON — Sa'eed Nelson led all scorers with 29 points but Navy's slower-paced offense led the Midshipmen into the Patriot League Semifinals with a 60-56 win over American on Thursday evening at Bender Arena.
- Nelson connected on 5 of 9 from the outside and 6-for-8 from the free throw line.
- Sam Iorio, Mark Gasperini and Stacy Beckton Jr. each had eight points with Beckton Jr. pulling down nine rebounds and eight from Iorio.
- American struggled from the outside shooting 7-for-35.
- Navy was led by Evan Wieck with 18 points. George Kiernan had eight points and nine rebounds (all defensive).
- The Mids led 27-23 at the half and held a nine points lead (38-29) with 14:03 left on a 3-pointer by Josiah Strong.
- American cut the deficit to two points (45-43) with 6:09 left on a Gasperini turn around jumper.
- Navy's lead was once again at single digits after Nelson hit a pair of free throws after he was fouled on a fast break.
- The visitors regained a nine-point lead with 23 seconds left after John Carter Jr. hit both free throws.
@AU_MBasketball Postgame Highlights vs. Navy (3/7/19)— American U. Men's Basketball (@AU_MBasketball) March 8, 2019
Sa'eed Nelson led all scorers with 29 points and a trio of Eagles — Sam Iorio, Mark Gasperini and Stacy Beckton Jr. — each had eight points. pic.twitter.com/eHknWYPJxT