WASHINGTON — Sa'eed Nelson had a game-best 25 points to lead the American University men's basketball team to a 71-63 win over Navy on Wednesday evening in Patriot League play.
- With the win, American ups its record to 8-6 on the season and 2-1 in the PL.
- American is 5-1 this season following a loss.
- American is 26-10 under head coach Mike Brennan when scoring 70 or more points in a game.
- Nelson's 25-point performance is his sixth best single-game output and seventh 20-plus points game this year.
- Mark Gasperini and Larry Motuzis each had 12 points with Motuzis scoring eight in the final 3:10 and five in the final minute of play.
- Sam Iorio had nine points, a team-high six rebounds, four assists, and tied a season-best three blocks.
- Off the bench, American got a combined 13 points from Stacy Beckton Jr. (7) and Josh Alexander (6).
- American led 32-26 at the half and Navy erased a 13-point deficit and tied the contest three times in the second half before AU pulled away with late.
- On the defensive end, American held Navy to 2 of 17 from the outside and forced 15 turnovers.
- The Eagles outshot Navy in all three categories and made 16 of 19 free throws with Nelson contributing 11 of 12 at the line.
- The Eagles hit the road for a pair of games at Bucknell (Jan. 12) and Lehigh (Jan. 16).
- Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
- Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID. Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating.
- Two Free tickets to all Federal Government workers for the month of January to all home events.
- Bender Weekender: $85 gets you a sideline ticket to all five Saturday home match-ups this January and February.
@AU_MBasketball Postgame Highlights vs. Navy (1/9/19)— American U. Men's Basketball (@AU_MBasketball) January 10, 2019
Sa'eed Nelson finished with 25 points and Mark Gasperini and Larry Motuzis each had 12 points to improve AU to 8-6 on the season and 2-1 in the Patriot League. pic.twitter.com/kUw1YaYmwZ