WASHINGTON — Sam Iorio led all scorers with 20 points but missed connections and foul trouble halted another Atlantic 10 victory as American fell to George Washington 71-67 in overtime at the Smith Center to conclude non-conference play.
- American finishes nonleague play (6-5) with its best record since 2014-15 when the team went 7-5 before entering league play.
- American played with a heavy reserve lineup for most of the game as Sa'eed Nelson picked up fouls early in the contest and was held to a season-low seven points in 26 minutes.
- Mark Gasperini returned after missing two games and finished with his first double-double of the season with 12 points and 13 rebounds.
- Stacy Beckton Jr. added 11 points off the bench and Josh Alexander had six points and seven rebounds. The Eagles bench accounted for 31 of 67 points.
- American led 33-29 at the break but the Colonials answered back in the second half with a 43-37 advantage.
- With American trailing 57-54 late in the contest, Nelson tied the game with three points off a free throw and second-chance bucket.
- In overtime, American led 64-61 but Terry Nolan Jr. scored five of seven straight Colonials points to put GW ahead the rest of the way.
- Justin Mazzulla led the Colonials with 19 points.
- AU tips Patriot League play at Bender Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 2 against Boston University on NBC Sports Washington.
- The Eagles will hit the road for Colgate on Jan. 6.
- Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
- Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID. Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating.