WASHINGTON — Sam Iorio and Sa'eed Nelson scored 24 and 23 points, respectively, but Howard had three players score 20-plus points to come away with an 85-83 win over American on Saturday afternoon at Burr Gymnasium.
- Prior to the start of the contest, Howard University held a moment of silence for legendary D.C. public address announcer Shellie Bowers Jr. who passed away last week. Bowers Jr., a figure in The District is also the public address announcer at Reeves and Jacobs Fields at AU.
- American finished with four players in double figures with Mark Gasperini adding 14 points (10 in the second half) and Marvin Bragg with 11.
- Sa'eed Nelson had a career-best 13-for-14 from the free throw line. His previous best was nine made free throws against Lafayette (2/27/18).
- The Eagles led 44-39 at the half, but the Bison battled back with a 16-3 run before a 9-0 run by AU late in the half put the Eagles within a possession.
- Gasperini had a wide-open dunk to make the score 80-79 with 23.9 left. Iorio had a chance to tie the game with a 3-pointer but missed off the front end. He added the final 3-pointer at the buzzer.
- Chad Lott led the Bison with 24 points while RJ Cole had 21 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds and Charles Williams had 20 points.
- American did damage at the line, connecting on 19 of 21, for a season-best 91 percent.
- Howard made 31 2-point field goals and took four 3-point opportunities with 44 points in the paint.
- The Eagles will sit idle until a home contest against Mount St. Mary's on Dec. 18.
- AU will complete the nonleague home schedule against Maryland Eastern Shore on Dec. 22.
Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.