Game 8 · American (5-2, 0-0 PL) at Howard (5-3, 0-0 MEAC)
Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018 · 4 p.m. · Washington, D.C. (Burr Gymnasium)
All-Time Record: American leads, 16-5
Game Notes: American | Howard
WASHINGTON — The American men's basketball team is riding high after a 95-point performance in a home win against Saint Francis University and will look to stay poised on the road at Howard on Saturday.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- Sam Iorio scored a career-high 33 points on 7 of 10 from the field against Saint Francis on Tuesday. Iorio had 24 points in the first half and shot 9-for-10 from the field in 19 minutes.
- American finished with five players in double figures for the first time since Feb. 22, 2017 at Navy. Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 19 points.
- The Eagles outscored the Red Flash, 50-30 at the half and weathered a second-half storm by the Red Flash. Nelson and Mark Gasperini also set personal bests with Nelson passing out 12 assists and Gasperini with seven assists.
SCOUTING THE BISON
- RJ Cole leads the Bison and the District in scoring at 21.5 points per game. Cole needs 46 points to reach 1,000 points as a sophomore. Cole has scored in double figures in all seven games this season with his best of 31 points against Cal Baptist.
- Charles Williams is second on the team with 20.1 points per game. Williams scored a season-best 30 points at Southern Illinois on 11 of 22 shooting from the field.
- Zion Cousins leads the team in rebounds per game at 6.1 and is seconded by Akuwovo Ogheneyole at 6.0 per contest.
- With seven assists against Saint Francis, Mark Gasperini set a career-best while also scoring 14 points. Gasperini is the third Eagle forward under Coach Brennan to finish with at least 14 points and seven assists in a home game. Kevin Panzer and Mark Vasic also reached the plateau during the 2014-15 season.
- As a whole, under Brennan, the Eagles have seen three players reach this feat (14+ points and 7+ assists) 13 times — Sa'eed Nelson (11), Pee Wee Gardner (1) and Mark Gasperini.
IORIO'S 30 for 30
- Sam Iorio scored a career-best 33 points at Bender Arena against St. Francis on Tuesday. This is his second 30+-point game at home during his career.
- Iorio made all five of his two-point attempts and shot 7 of 10 from the outside, which tied his career-best set at Lafayette on Feb. 17, 2018 when he scored 28 points against the Leopards.
- The last time an Eagle scored more than 33 points in a home game was Vlad Moldoveanu on Jan. 8, 2011 against Lehigh, when he dropped 39 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. He currently has the most single-game points scored at Bender Arena since 2010.
- Sa'eed Nelson became the first AU guard since Pee Wee Gardner to finish with double-figure assists. Nelson's 17 points and 12 assists were also the first points/assists double-double under head coach Mike Brennan.
- Gardner finished with double figures assists twice during his two seasons at American, both at Lehigh (11 - 1/15/14) and (10 - 3/5/15). During the Jeff Jones era, Daniel Munoz had 10 assists and eight points at Army West Point on Feb. 18, 2012.
- The Eagles will sit idle until a home contest against Mount St. Mary's on Dec. 18.
- AU will complete the nonleague home schedule against Maryland Eastern Shore on Dec. 22.
Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets.
Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.