Game 5 · American (3-1, 0-0 PL) at VMI (5-2, 0-0 Southern Conference)
Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018 · 7 p.m. · Lexington, Va. (Cameron Hall)
All-Time Record: American leads, 2-1
Game Notes: American | VMI
WASHINGTON — Riding its best start since the 2010 season, the American University men's basketball team will travel to its Southernmost Point on the schedule to face VMI on Tuesday evening in Lexington, Virginia.
SCOUTING THE EAGLES
- The Eagles faced a tough task on Saturday at UMBC but came away victorious, 73-69. American held a two-point lead with less than 11 seconds left but a dunk Max Curran forced a game-winning 3-pointer by Sam Iorio with 1.5 seconds left.
- The contest saw 28 lead changes and 16 ties. American trailed by 10 midway through the second half before AU went on a 19-9 run over 7:49 and tied the contest at 49-all.
- Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 18 points and gave AU a 56-55 lead with 6:29 left in to play. UMBC did not regain a lead the rest of the way as American answered back after every basket made by the Retrievers.
SCOUTING THE KEYDETS
- Offense-first squad, VMI has averaged 85 points per game with three of its five wins against non-D1 schools (Washington College, Goucher and Kentucky Christian).
- Bubba Parnham leads the Keydets in scoring at 24.3 points per game. Parnham has led the team in six of the seven games and scored 30 points in the recent overtime win at Stetson. Against then-No.10 Kentucky, Parnham had a career-best 35 points.
- Greg Parnham and Garrett Gilkeson are also averaging double figures for the Keydets. Parnham is averaging 11.7 points and shooting 46 percent from the field. Gilkeson is at 59 percent from the field and 50 percent from the outside.
NEAR BUZZER-BEATERS FOR AMERICAN
- Sam Iorio's 3-pointer at UMBC is not the first last-second basket to clinch a victory for American during the Mike Brennan Era.
- American has won nine games with game-winning baskets in the final three seconds of the play (see chart in game notes). Among those nine wins, two are against UMBC, Loyola and Lafayette and the others are against Holy Cross, Lehigh and Mount St. Mary's.
- Six players have contributed the game-winning baskets — Pee Wee Gardner (3), Charlie Jones (2) and Sam Iorio, Andrija Matic, Delante Jones and Jesse Reed.
IS THE PREVIOUS RECORD BREAKABLE
- Last season, American connected on double-digit 3-pointers seven times with a season-best 13 made threes at Holy Cross on Feb. 21, 2018.
- American has hit double-digit 3-pointers in 20 games during the Mike Brennan era, with a Brennan-best 13 made on three occasions — UMBC (11/24/18), at Holy Cross (2/21/18) and Lafayette (2/14/15).
- In every season except the 2016-17 season, the Eagles have connected on double-digit 3-pointer in at least one game.
- In 161 games coached by Brennan, American has made at the minimum two 3-pointers per game.
AMERICAN AGAINST SoCON
- American is 6-4 all-time against the Southern Conference.
- Mike Brennan is 1-0 against the SoCon, picking up his first win against Dan Earl's VMI squad last season.
- AU has yet to face Chattanooga, The Citadel, Mercer, Samford, Western Carolina and Wofford.