BALTIMORE, Md. — Sam Iorio hit a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 1.5 seconds left in regulation to propel the American University men's basketball team over UMBC, 73-69, on Saturday afternoon at the UMBC Events Center.
- Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 18 points on 7 of 13 from the field and 3 of 5 from the outside. Nelson pulled down seven rebounds and added three assists.
- Stacy Beckton Jr. had a career-best 14 points off the bench and nailed 4 of 7 from the 3-point line.
- Sam Iorio had 11 points and seven rebounds including the game-winning three.
- Yilret Yiljep hit his first collegiate 3-pointer early in the contest and finished with six points.
- Mark Gasperini added nine points on 4 of 6 from the floor.
- UMBC led 32-27 at the half and held a nine-point lead, 20-11, with 10:28 left.
- In the second half, UMBC led by double digits, 40-30 until AU went on a 19-9 run over 7:49 and tied the contest at 49-all.
- AU took a 56-55 lead with 6:29 left on a layup by Nelson. The Eagles did not trail the rest of the way.
- UMBC tied the contest 69-69 on a layup by Max Curran after an AU turnover.
- Curran led all scorers with 20 points. UMBC had three other players in double figures — Brandon Horvath with 14, Arkel Lamar with 12 points and Joe Sherburne with 11.
- American will travel to VMI on Nov. 27 at 7 p.m. on ESPN+.
- The Eagles return to Bender Arena on Friday, Nov. 30 against Wagner.
Secure your 2018-19 basketball season tickets today. Packages are priced as low as $52 and only $208 for the best chairback seats along the sideline for all 27 home games in Bender Arena. Season ticket holders receive savings off the individual game price, guaranteeing fans the same great seats for all games in Bender Arena, and benefits that include the full exchange for games you cannot make – as well as discounts, and special benefits throughout the year. All season ticket holders also receive their same seat for all home postseason league games and priority ticketing for all national postseason tournament games. All AU students are free of charge to home basketball games with a valid AU ID.
Tickets may be renewed and purchased:
- By emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- By calling 202.885.2617, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Tickets to all AU Men's Basketball home games at Bender Arena are available throughout the season on AUeagles.com/Tickets
Bring a group and save up to 50% off on end zone reserved seating…
- 10+ Group Rate: $7 per person
- 40+ Group Rate: $5 per person
- Individual game tickets are available for $10 to $18 for adults and $7 to $14 for youth 17 & below and seniors over 65. Military members, veterans, and AU students are invited to join the Eagles for free admission with valid ID.
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE MINI-PLANS AND TICKETS!
.��@siorio22 (Sam Iorio) with a 3-pointer from the top of the key to give #AUMBB the lead and the win at @UMBC_MBB with an assist by Sa'eed Nelson @ESPNAssignDesk @espn #SCTop10 @WatchStadium @PatriotLeagueTV pic.twitter.com/SenVCwa4S8— American U. Men's Basketball (@AU_MBasketball) November 24, 2018
Take a look at highlights from Saturday's 73-69 win over @UMBC_MBB. Stacy Beckton Jr. set a career-high with 14 points, Sa'eed Nelson led the Eagles with 18 points and Sam Iorio hit the game-winning 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds left. #ICYMI #SammyIce from #SilkySa pic.twitter.com/NMIO5lQLGw— American U. Men's Basketball (@AU_MBasketball) November 25, 2018